FELV + cat, Help me please.

picklez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello my cat has been FELV + since he was a kitten. I have had him for 4 years and he has never been sick, until recently. He has become sluggish and weak. I took him to the vet who told me he was highly anemic, and that the disease has reached his bone marrow. The veterinarian proceeded to give him a B12 shot, doxycline, Iron shot, and 5mg of Prednisone. After the visit he became violently ill, dilated pupils, urinating on himself, and refusing to eat. Before I took him he did not exhibit any of this behavior. Did the injections cause some sort of reaction, or is he truly sick from the Felv? This morning he is acting a little bit better, after I stopped all treatment. What I was wondering is; could he have become immune to the anemia, will he die? Is there any treatment options left at this point?

help me please

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

We have several members here who have FeLV+ cats, and others who have had them in the past, so hopefully someone with more experience in the area will be along soon.

kittybosanta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear of your cat's condition.

I had a cat with FeLV who when diagnosed, had a hemoglobin level 50% of what a healthy cat's level should be. Our vet told us that a blood transfusion was an option that could give our Gateway a little more time. I don't know if this is viable in your situation but you may want to ask your vet about it.

I wish you and your kitty the best.