Felv Advice

kittymaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, was hoping owners with FeLV+ cats could perhaps offer some advice. Our four year old was recently diagnosed with this after running a fever for two weeks. He's currently doing a lot better, and though there's signs of bone marrow involvement, we're hoping it will go dormant. He is, however, currently contagious - and has been for the past two weeks.

We have another cat, who has tested negative. (Though she has to be re-tested in four months, and negative FeLV tests don't really seem to mean much, as the only time they test positive on the snap tests is when they have a currently active infection.)

The cats don't much care for one another so there's no mutual grooming going on, and we're ensuring that water and food aren't shared, as well as separating them at night.

I'm wondering how other owners handle having one FeLV positive cat in a household with a negative cat? Our vet said that as they don't snuggle and groom, risk of transmission is very low, especially with care taken around food and water, but I'd like to hear what people's experiences have been.

Thanks!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mainly I'm bumping up your thread, but in the meantime, here is another thread you might find interesting. Keep in mind though, they are discussing two different health issues in it: FELV quarantine - help please (also, there are TWO pages to this thread, so be sure to click on page two)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I've read pretty much everything I can on FeLV, and there is an interesting post on that threat from someone who has a mixed household indicating transmission rates are low, but given that FeLV can go dormant after the initial infection period, it's pretty hard to actually tell if a cat has it or not unless you start doing bone marrow. Thanks again.