Felted wool cat cave

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do any of you have one of those wet felted cat caves? I've seen lots of cute and awesome looking ones while browsing Pinterest and Etsy.

What do you think of them? Beloved by your kitty(ies)?

I have some wool roving and a bit of wet felting experience, so I think I'm going to try making one. (Of course, mine probably won't end up looking as some of the really cool ones.)

Share a pic of you have one!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I haven't done any felting, but would love to have a go at it.  I haven't actually seen the caves.. I'll go and have a look on etsy. 

I think it's great to make aesthetic cat furniture as we normally have it in obvious places around the house.  And it's wonderful to be creative .

You may like to join us here, as well:

http://www.thecatsite.com/groups/show/161/yarn-it-all

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I had a go at wet felting with a friend who's pretty good at it and I was a disaster!  I love needle felting and recently had a go at making little felt critters, and am slightly better with that technique.  The felt cat caves look amazing but I'm not sure how practical they would be, a) because they wouldn't be washable, and b) most cats I know rather like the feel of felt in their mouths and or for clawing at.  I'd love to see what you create if you have a go though, as the designs I saw when I was looking at starting the needle felting were fabulous and would look so cool in a house.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All felted! I am a beginner felter, so it didn't end up quite how I wanted it. I wanted it to be rounder. It's kind of flat.

It isn't completely dry yet. But L3370 seems to like it. And it was a fun project for me. I may try to make another one sometime!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
That is amazing!  I could barely create a flat(ish) piece of felt and the design on it came out NOTHING like I'd intended so I am well impressed,: you got the felt made, a good shape, and a recogniseable design on ti! 
 Has slick kitty L3370 chewed and clawed it to bits yet or is it a catcave full of kitty?

I just had another go and needle felting a little cat and while it's slightly more recogniseable than the 2 previous ones I still have a long way to go.... 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No chewing/clawing yet. She prefers my lap to the cave as of right now. (Big bummer, right!? lol) I was thinking of making a perch to put it on, so she can get away from the kids when they are pestering her too much.

I haven't done much needle felting. I don't have a lot patience for small tedious projects. Wet felting is big, messy work! More my style. :D

We'll see if L3370 takes a liking to her cave in the next week or so. But I won't mind at all if she keeps preferring my lap.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
No chewing/clawing yet. She prefers my lap to the cave as of right now. (Big bummer, right!? lol) .......
Now I'm thinking maybe I should get a felt catcave... 
   one day my Mouse will become a lap cat, I might have to drag him there but one day.