Felt really bad after this

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A couple days ago, got up to get ready for work and found Diva had pooped in the bathtub. I yelled at her and banished her to the basement for the day... I spent the whole day figuring out why she would do this...

Turns out it was MY fault, I had close the door to the basement where her box is, and she used the one thing that looked like a litter box to her... my bathtub... Fortunately, she forgave me for being mad at her...

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, you have some serious making up to do
I am sure she has forgiven you, mistakes happen hun. I am sure she would love you to buy her a special treat
x

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah well, we're all human.

Just keep in mind that Diva couldn't have had any idea of why you yelled at her or why she was shut in the basement.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That ranks right up there with the time my then-fiancee locked Callie in the closet all day while I was at work. He didn't know that was her preferred sleeping spot and I left the door ajar for her to go in/out. He had such a puzzled look on his face when I got home from work and asked him if he'd seen Callie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I bought her a bag of her favorite treats a couple days afterwards

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O'snap.

On a related note though, unlike dogs, yelling at cats can only really make you feel better, but if anything would make litterbox avoidance issues worse.

Any correction has to be simultaneous to the event for them to grasp the association, and even then they may or may not connect the right dots. Messing with blinds or off counter negative correction can work, but yelling about found poop is only likely to make the cat nervous and confused. Thats what I had read on a behavioral book at least.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

O'snap.

On a related note though, unlike dogs, yelling at cats can only really make you feel better, but if anything would make litterbox avoidance issues worse.

Any correction has to be simultaneous to the event for them to grasp the association, and even then they may or may not connect the right dots. Messing with blinds or off counter negative correction can work, but yelling about found poop is only likely to make the cat nervous and confused. Thats what I had read on a behavioral book at least.
That's very true. Actually, considering the circumstances, she was a very good girl...she could have pooped anywhere. In the future, just know that yelling at her only satisfies your anger, but is detrimental to her.