Fellini got burned...

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fergus Fellini managed to get a small burn on his back after his Momma dropped a pot of spaghetti on the floor.
This was about two weeks ago. Took him and got him burn creme and antibiotics, and he is really okay. Poor baby. However, just when the burn heals and scabs over, he goes nuts. It's right at the base of his tail, so when it scabs, and he twitches his tail, it pulls a little. This of course makes him twitch his tail more and then procede to lick the scar off. Any suggestions on making him stop. The burn heals more and more and is definitely getting smaller, despite his licking, but I think if he stopped it would heal faster. The vet tried putting an e collar on him, with bad results. He bashed his head on the floor trying to get it off. So that obviously is not an option... Can anyone think of any other ideas?

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to wrap it up for the remainder of the healing? Wrapping it will prevent the scab from drying out and pulling the surrounding hair/skin. Just make sure to change the dressings everyday, and keep it from getting wet. If you can't wrap it, can you shave all the hair surrounding it?

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grissom

Fergus Fellini managed to get a small burn on his back after his Momma dropped a pot of spaghetti on the floor.
This was about two weeks ago. Took him and got him burn creme and antibiotics, and he is really okay. Poor baby. However, just when the burn heals and scabs over, he goes nuts. It's right at the base of his tail, so when it scabs, and he twitches his tail, it pulls a little. This of course makes him twitch his tail more and then procede to lick the scar off. Any suggestions on making him stop. The burn heals more and more and is definitely getting smaller, despite his licking, but I think if he stopped it would heal faster. The vet tried putting an e collar on him, with bad results. He bashed his head on the floor trying to get it off. So that obviously is not an option... Can anyone think of any other ideas?
Aww.
I don't know how similar cats and humans are when it comes to burns, but I've had two very severe burns (both in the hand/arm area), and I used a lot of aloe, and kept them wrapped with gauze and a bandage. It was hard for me not to mess with the scab, though. It itched terribly. I doubt aloe can be used on a cat, though...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ASPCA has a list of toxic and non-toxic plants that can affect animals....although Aloe is wonderful for people ( i use it from time to time to like you said, it is wonderful for burns on people) it can be very toxic to felines, so i wouldn't recommend using it on a cat. their website is www.aspca.org if you would like to pull up a copy of those plant lists. i've found it really helpful. As far as the burnt kitty goes, you are doing the right thing with the ointment and the antibiotics....if your cat seems to have a problem with his tail, it might not be a bad idea to confine him to a safe crate until his tail is completely healed since the "collar" idea didn't work. I personally wouldn't dress the burn unless recommended by your vet, sometimes a little fresh air helps burns heal quicker than keeping it under a bandage, but definitely go with the recommendation of your vet. If the burn has an open sore gash to it on the otherhand, then it might not be a bad idea to have it wrapped to keep out infection. Check with your vet.Good luck with your kitty.

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there anything you could put on it that would taste bad but not inhibit the healing process?

I doubt wrapping it up would work unless it were some serious heavy duty material.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a bitter apple spray made for hot spots on dogs so they will leave them alone and let them heal. I would check with the vet's office about using it on a burn on a cat though.