Feliway question.

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are in the process of introducing new boy kitten (16 weeks) to our two older girls (13 and 14).  The kitten has his room and the older girls have their own room.  So far we let them out alternately in the rest of the main house and they don't seem to mind the smells of each other (or at least I haven't noticed anything)..  I have let the older cats see the new guy here and there and they often hiss and sometimes growl.  I am planning to get a feliway  dispenser for the main cat area (living room of house).  I am not sure if I should order an additional one for the big girls room.  My only hesitation is the price.  Would it work to alternate the diffuser between rooms? Just wondering.  If I really need to buy two, I will.   Thanks in advance.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feliway really does work best when the whole house is 'treated' simultaneously. The maximum area one diffuser can treat is 90sqft (if memory serves ;) ).

It sounds like things are overall progressing well, but I'd say you're too early in the process for visual contact. For cats, scent is far more important than sight when it comes to making friends. Continue with scent and site swapping, and start feeding them either side of a closed door. This creates a positive association between them. Once all are happily eating right up by the doo, you can GRADUALLY introduce the visual. These articles explain the process in detail:[article="32680"][/article][article="29726"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
anyone else?