Feliway Comfort Zone Diffuser

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I purchased one of these to aid with the introduction of a kitten to my resident cat. I had it plugged in for about two days and I thought my older cat seemed slightly more relaxed. I wasn't sure if it works that quickly or it was just a coincidence.

After this two days, I started smelling a burning smell and unplugged it. I read some reviews online and saw where others complained about it and one or two said their diffusers caught on fire.

I was thinking that I might just plug the diffuser in, when I am home during the day. Could this help and how good is the spray?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we first got my oldest cat, we got one of these since he kept peeing everywhere. We bought one of those timers for plugging lights into and had it turn on and off in half hour or hour intervals. This seemed to keep the feliway diffuser from smelling like burning. Also I read many reviews where people plugged these diffuser in up side down so that the part with the liquid in it was on top. This causes the liquid to leak down into the plug causing burning smell and sometimes fire. I'm sure this isn't always the reason though since diffusers in general are known fire hazards (my dorm in college wouldn't even allow diffuser air fresheners because of this). 

We found that using the timer kept the diffuser from getting too hot. That said, I'm not sure how great the Feliway worked on him for the not peeing thing. It did seem to make him come out from the closet where he was hiding more. It was challenging to measure the success of the diffuser since other factors were involved in us fixing the litterbox issues. We ended up trying many different tactics to decrease the out of litter box peeing (got rid of covered box, switched cat litter, changed the location of his food to further away from the litter, stopped leaving clothing or blankets on the ground, ect.) and something worked, but since we tried everything at once it is impossible to say which was the one that worked. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are uncomfortable with the plug in you can buy the Comfort Zone spray and use it in areas where you need it.  It lasts for a few hours and only a few sprays are needed.  I used it in areas where I didn't have an outlet.  You can find the best price on Amazon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. Any opinions on the Sentry Calming Collar or sprays by other companies besides Feliway?