Feliway and Cigarette smoke

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the effectiveness of Feliway reduced by cigarette smoke? I want to put the diffuser in my family room, but my father smokes in the neighboring room and the smoke makes the family room smell really bad. I can smell the smoke upstairs in my bedroom with the door closed.
. Sadly, the cats I'm fostering mostly stay in the family room. So I'm not sure if it's even worth putting the diffuser in the family room if the smoke is going to make it less effective.

I tried emailing the company that makes Feliway, but they haven't emailed me back.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilblu

Is the effectiveness of Feliway reduced by cigarette smoke? I want to put the diffuser in my family room, but my father smokes in the neighboring room and the smoke makes the family room smell really bad. I can smell the smoke upstairs in my bedroom with the door closed.
. Sadly, the cats I'm fostering mostly stay in the family room. So I'm not sure if it's even worth putting the diffuser in the family room if the smoke is going to make it less effective.

I tried emailing the company that makes Feliway, but they haven't emailed me back.
Check and see if they have an 800 number. Your question is an interesting one and I would also like to know the answer. No one here smokes in the house but I would still like to know. I've been using Feliway with success for several years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NutroMike

Check and see if they have an 800 number.
Why didn't I think of that. They do have a number. I'll try calling in the morning, but I probably won't be able to get them until Monday. They probably don't even know the answer.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I would claim that I already know the answer.

Say, "Dad, Feliway says that not only is it overpowered by the indoor smoke, but indoor smoke is known to cause cats to have fits of violent rage and attack the eyes of sleeping old men".

Nothing against smoking, but cmon, not indoors. That ruins the home resale and makes the ceiling all gross. I occasionally have a cigar w/ friends, but we do that out on the porch in the fresh air.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your dad fond the cats? Is he looking for a good reason to stop smoking? Then point out how small their lungs are, and how bad the effect of smoke is on them.

I know it's a horrible addiction, and I'm sorry for you and him. But maybe he's simply unaware of how bad the smoke infiltration is, and how dangerous it is for the cats, as well as humans.

And, yeah, if you're ever thinking of selling the house, you're going to be spending big bucks on smoke remediation, just from the fiscal POV.

Good luck with everything.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. Just tell dad that cigarette smoke has been known to cause rage syndrome in cats

As a smoker I totally understand the appeal, but I've never ever smoked in my house. I know it stinks, I don't want my house to smell like that.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ever see 28 Days Later? THAT is what cigarette smoke can do to cats!

If he hasn't, have him watch it... bet the cigarettes will mysteriously disappear.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do everything possible to not have anyone smoking in the house. I would suspect smoke would effect the Feliway in a negative way.

Second hand smoke not only affects people but think of the much smaller lungs of a cat/dog and what effects that has - not a good thing at all!

kittiekitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rescued two cats from a house where they were being neglected and they smoked in th house constantly, you could see the smoke when you walked in. Sadly, one of the cats, the older one had lunng cancer and died ten months later..... I never smoked in my house until a year after I started dating the guy I'm with now and all the time I'm thinking of how it is hurting my babies. I open the windows all the time even if it is cold. My boyfriend says its his house too and hell do what he wants inside..... ugh my cats even run from the site of the smoke bc they hate it so bad....... I would def try to make him not smoke in the house. I know it could be hard concidering its been ok to do so far, but for your health and your families and your furbabies.... try talkiing to him. If I didn't smoke I know I wouldn't be able to stand the smell of smoke ever...... I hope you are able to find answers though and hopefully you can use the feliway in your house! Good luck hun.