Feline Stroke. Please Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shari and Coco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now, I am looking for ramps with banisters/sides!!!
I do need a set of steps for her
I’m looking at Amazon
She’s taking too many chances with trying to jump off chairs
Hoping to get one that I can move around to wherever she’s at

Shari and Coco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coco seems much more tired today :(
We had pillows all around her chair but she decided to jump and rolled over front somersault when she landed ugh
Three steps forward two Back… she’s on gabapentin which takes away her pain but I think makes her really weak and tired…any suggestions on the best time to give her this? I’ve tried at night but by morning she’s in pain so vet suggested I spilt the dose…I gave her this am but she was really weak and spacy all day 🙁

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is only getting gabapentin once a day, then I think the vet is correct in suggesting that you split the dose - and administer every 12 hours. Check with the vet to make sure that is what they meant, but I am willing to bet they say yes. If I recall correctly, gabapentin is usually given every 12 hours anyway, sometimes every 8 hours depending on the dosage and needs.

When looking for steps, look for wide based ones - the typical steps on cat stairs are far too small, IMO. I did find one ramp with a railing, but not sure you would want to spend that kind of money. They weren't cheap. I am just wondering if you couldn't set two ramps side by side and connect them together on the underside with some boards to make a wide ramp (to help compensate for no railing).

Shari and Coco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is only getting gabapentin once a day, then I think the vet is correct in suggesting that you split the dose - and administer every 12 hours. Check with the vet to make sure that is what they meant, but I am willing to bet they say yes. If I recall correctly, gabapentin is usually given every 12 hours anyway, sometimes every 8 hours depending on the dosage and needs.

When looking for steps, look for wide based ones - the typical steps on cat stairs are far too small, IMO. I did find one ramp with a railing, but not sure you would want to spend that kind of money. They weren't cheap. I am just wondering if you couldn't set two ramps side by side and connect them together on the underside with some boards to make a wide ramp (to help compensate for no railing).
We started her back on metacam and she is so much better… not tired and wanting to walk around alot more :)

Shari and Coco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coco flicked her ears today! Up until today she had no feeling in her ears… today she was flicking them both! So excited at her progress…it’s been nine days and I am so encouraged by her progress. I wouldn’t have believed it nine days ago! She still shuffles her front legs when she walks but I’m certain with practise she will get better with her mobility :)

Attachments

Shari and Coco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Where did you see the stairs? On Amazon?

Shari and Coco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you stop a cat from being a cat?
At this point coco is having a bit of a shuffle with her front legs when walking
She can climb Ramps and stairs but keeps trying to jump on and off from a few feet up and down..she cannot finish her jump
I’m literally there to catch her but she hasn’t figured out what she can and can’t do do keeps trying. I cannot safely leave her alone with her attempting these jumps…I have a ramp coming but wonder if she will still try to jump rather than use the ramp… she does climb pillows to get on chairs which is good :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if over some more time she will realize that the stairs and ramps are a 'better/safer bet' than trying to jump or not. Since she will use the pillows - which I presume she is more familiar with than the new stairs/ramps - she might eventually use the other items too. Just for the heck of it, try rubbing down the stairs/ramps with blankets or towels that have her scent on them - can't hurt to try!

If not that, you might end up having to get a whole lot more pillows for her to use!

Glad to hear she is being 'adventurous' even if she is driving you crazy!

Shari and Coco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coco update…well she has been successful with so much we decided to trial her going down the stairs…we all gathered round to catch her if she fell…she ran down the stairs so fast much too our surprise and then looked up at all of us as if to say “what are you guys so worried about”
One month is so needed to see where they will be at. Anything less is a disservice as she has progressed so amazingly this month.

Shari and Coco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coco update…well she has been successful with so much we decided to trial her going down the stairs…we all gathered round to catch her if she fell…she ran down the stairs so fast much too our surprise and then looked up at all of us as if to say “what are you guys so worried about”
One month is so needed to see where they will be at. Anything less is a disservice as she has progressed so amazingly this month.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Coco update…well she has been successful with so much we decided to trial her going down the stairs…we all gathered round to catch her if she fell…she ran down the stairs so fast much too our surprise and then looked up at all of us as if to say “what are you guys so worried about” One month is so needed to see where they will be at. Anything less is a disservice as she has progressed so amazingly this month.
:cheerleader::clap2::woohoo:Thanks for the update!! So, so happy for Coco and you!

Shari and Coco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok guys… so coco is 98 percent back to normal while awake. Even jumping on the bed!
But…
While in deep sleep she is having what looks like mini seizures
She has no difficulties while awake and can be woken and stops immediately once awake. I’ll try to attach a video I finally got while it was happening. She literally is perfectly fine when awake just a bit scary to watch. They only last twenty seconds or so and only a few times have I witnessed it up close. I guess I can’t attach the video
Anyone who has seen this?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Upload the video to YouTube and then paste that URL into the post.

I would contact the vet to update them on this given her history. It may be nothing, as cats can move around in their sleep, but at least see if the vet can look at your video.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Again, glad to hear Coco is overall doing well! I agree with talking to the vet (and maybe even a neurological consult, just as a reference point). Is this a very recent development, or something that kind of has been going on for most of the time she has been recovering? I wonder if this is just a small 'residual' effect of her stroke, and it happens when she is sleeping because she is so relaxed. It could also be something more recent because of her better mobility (just a wild layperson's guess).

I never had Feeby checked by a neurologist, but many years ago when I discussed Feeby's 'sleeping twitches' (the only time she ever demonstrates this behavior is in her sleep) he suggested it was some small neurological issue and would likely remain as such. Well, knock on wood, that seems to be the case. If I catch it, I can normally just place a very slight bit of pressure anywhere on her body and it stops - sometimes it will start again but repeating the pressure stops it again.

Certainly, get it checked out, but I hope what you are seeing in Coco is something similar to what I have seen in Feeby!

Shari and Coco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Again, glad to hear Coco is overall doing well! I agree with talking to the vet (and maybe even a neurological consult, just as a reference point). Is this a very recent development, or something that kind of has been going on for most of the time she has been recovering? I wonder if this is just a small 'residual' effect of her stroke, and it happens when she is sleeping because she is so relaxed. It could also be something more recent because of her better mobility (just a wild layperson's guess).

I never had Feeby checked by a neurologist, but many years ago when I discussed Feeby's 'sleeping twitches' (the only time she ever demonstrates this behavior is in her sleep) he suggested it was some small neurological issue and would likely remain as such. Well, knock on wood, that seems to be the case. If I catch it, I can normally just place a very slight bit of pressure anywhere on her body and it stops - sometimes it will start again but repeating the pressure stops it again.

Certainly, get it checked out, but I hope what you are seeing in Coco is something similar to what I have seen in Feeby!

Shari and Coco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did send video to my vet and that is exactly what she said
She had suggested maybe seizures and if I wanted to try medication ( don’t really want her on more meds) or that it’s residual effects from stroke
I like you can stop it as soon as I pet her
I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience

Shari and Coco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did send video to my vet and that is exactly what she said
She had suggested maybe seizures and if I wanted to try medication ( don’t really want her on more meds) or that it’s residual effects from stroke
I like you can stop it as soon as I pet her
I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience
And it’s been this way since her stroke