Feline Pancreatitis--1 leap forward, 2 steps back

lolitameows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
So, I posted a week ago about my DSH 10 y/o Nala who was taken to 3 different vets after a day of not eating and vomiting 4 times, and finally my third vet figured out she had pancreatitis--I have been aggressively treating from home because vet suggested that its less stressful on her if I keep up with her routine. She was getting syringe fed, syringe water"ed", the only thing she would willingly eat was Delectables squeezeups (usually she eats any food)
Over the holiday, I received her results back from her US and her pancreatic test (fPLI) and where 3.5 is considered "abnormal"...my sweet girl was at 50!!!!!!! I feel nauseous all over again.
Before getting her results back, Dr. put Nala on Cerenia (as needed), Orbax oral suspension antibiotic (1.6 mL for 10 days), liquid prednisone for inflammation to help her eat (0.2 mL for 7 days), Mirataz appetite stimulant (1.5 inch ribbon on ear pinnae as needed), and Buprenex (a syringe as needed). By the third day of this cocktail, she seemed in MUCH higher spirits--started eating again, drinking occasionally, and using her box..things were definitely not 100%, but skyrocketed to maybe 90% and I felt there was a chance she would be able to pull through, no problems.
I'm on day 8 now of Orbax and her final day of prednisone (started a day after antibiotic) and although she definitely hasn't fallen back into her slump, things are starting to fall to about 80% now--she's jumping in the bed, shes laying and rolling in the sun, grooming herself, licking at her food, following me around, but after her medication time, for a few hours, she wants to be left totally alone.
This morning has me *worried*. I woke up to her giving me snuggles and head butts--bed is a high jump up, she followed me as I got ready for work, but when it came time to feed her, she sniffed at her 2 different wet foods, temptations and kibble and walked away. No food intake again.
I was doing subQ fluids at home with her every other day but she keeps jumping away mid way through so I don't get enough into her--I'll be doing another round tonight.
I'm starting to feel defeated--I'm working my BUTT off to make sure she's doing well and comfortable. I'm 6 months pregnant and this cat is literally my BABY. I feel so depressed when I see her because I know how she usually is versus the 80% she's lingering around now. She definitely isn't ready to give up the fight--that much is evident and the vet has said such, but with such a HIGH fPLI score, has anyone had a cat bounce back okay with that? ANY suggestions or insights whatsoever? I've tried stinky foods, I've tried nutrical, I've tried countless foods that all end up in the garbage. I'm desperate to get her back.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you aren't getting any responses here, what did your Vet say about recovery with such a high number? I would think they would be a good resource.
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolitameows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Just wanted to give an update now that a month has passed (and to give a happy ending story to those who may be in my panicked position in the future). Nala is doing much better, I have not taken her back to the vet yet (upon vet's recommendation) just to ensure that she has as minimal stress as possible--though she will be going back in March (nearly 3 months after the start of this debacle) for an annual and for anything else the vet recommends. I've started Nala on digestive enzymes and cosequin (for arthritis) and have switched her to a wet food diet (with blue buffalo dry food for grazing throughout the night). Her bathroom usage, her food/drink intake, her sociability and playfulness have all returned to 97-100%.
If you're in the same position as me and Nala, I would recommend getting the above mentioned medications--I truly believe those saved her life, along with aggressive food supplementation at home. My cat refused eating *everything* except Delectables Squeeze Up Lickable Wet Cat Treats (Amazon or winn dixie)--which I gave to her as many as she would put down (~1-3/day)--which is not enough! Along with the squeeze-ups, I aimed to feed her multiple syringes of tinned wet food per day (hardly succeeded with 1 can, but I tried) mixed with water or onion free chicken or turkey baby food. Learn from my mistake here--do not shoot this into the back of the throat at 100miles per minute; this is a marathon, not a race. Put on a good show and make this bonding time, some feedings could last me 20-30 mins, and this was on "her time." I also would give her multiple syringes of water--which she would lift her lip to receive--do not "force feed" your cat the water, let them accept it.
My baby did not have a good prognosis, but we were able to pull her through--while working and being pregnant (so barely any free time)-- so I promise you can help your kitty too. Good luck.