Feline Hyperthesia Sydrome and My Poor Cat

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@jeanne543 Sounds like you have good instincts! I too have read (somewhere....) that routine is important for a cat with FHS. And, diet (the less additives, ingredients, the better). And play time is important, too: reduces stress.
I used to be somewhat upset when Ritz was experiencing an FH episode, but I soon learned to remain calm, tell her "it's okay, honey, it's okay". (Maybe I should sing to her, I have a 'special' song just for her.) Sometimes she's okay if I pet her and the episode is minor. But when she's running back and forth, jumping over me, that's the last thing she wants me to do.

jeanne573

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@jeanne543 Sounds like you have good instincts! I too have read (somewhere....) that routine is important for a cat with FHS. And, diet (the less additives, ingredients, the better). And play time is important, too: reduces stress.
I used to be somewhat upset when Ritz was experiencing an FH episode, but I soon learned to remain calm, tell her "it's okay, honey, it's okay". (Maybe I should sing to her, I have a 'special' song just for her.) Sometimes she's okay if I pet her and the episode is minor. But when she's running back and forth, jumping over me, that's the last thing she wants me to do.
Yes, I do the same when she's running back and forth.   It's heartbreaking to me but I do my best to continue to shower her with love and positivity.  Can't wait for our vet appointment on Saturday!!

Your Ritz is a beauty.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks.
Let us know how the vet visit goes, any information, helpful hints.
Thanks.

jeanne573

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.  This is an update on Lovebug and her first vet visit.  I really liked the vet we went to.  She was knowledgeable and has experience treating cats to FHS.  I went prepared with my notes and videos.  Anyway, she wants to rule "other things" out and make sure she is otherwise healthy, so she did full blood work (I will get results Monday) and gave her a steroid shot Depro-Medrol.  The shot made Lovebug lethargic for a few hours so can't say I cared for it.  She also wants me to treat her for fleas but I fell 100% sure she doesn't have them.  I decided not  to give her the flea treatment because I'm afraid that she might have a bad reaction to the Fipronil and she has been through enough.  This vet is very open to treated her with either Prozac or Amitripytline and I am THRILLED about that.  So, its a matter of trying to be patient through this process.  Lovebug seems a little calmer but the symptoms are the same.  The vet and I both agree that she has a moderate case of FHS.  (But I sure don't want to to become more serious.)  I am having a problem getting her to eat all of a sudden and would appreciate any feedback.  A week into this I changed her diet from Purina Cat Chow dry and Nine Lives wet  (both beef flavored) to Trail of the Wild Grain Free and  Fancy Feast Gravy wet.  She immediately loved both so I stocked up on them.  Now, she won't eat either.  She walks over to her food area, smells each bowl and walks away.  This started yesterday before the steroid shot.  She does love fish flavored food but I want to stay away from that due to warnings that fish contains toxins and heavy metals.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I hope everyone is having a nice Sunday!

Jeanne

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear you like the vet and that the appointment went well! It's definitely the right thing to do to rule out other things with diagnostics first. I suppose the vet wants Lovebug treated for fleas because one of the possible causes of FHS could be flea allergy dermatitis (basically, an allergic reaction to flea saliva). FAD can take months to subside even after the fleas are gone. It seems this is part of the vets "ruling out" stage. I did this for Boo when ruling out causes of his FHS, even though he is an indoor only cat.

Depro-Medrol is on my "do not administer" list with the vet, alongside Convenia and Metacam. I don't like what I've read about side effects. I would look into this and ask the vet and see if perhaps it is the cause of Lovebug's loss of appetite all of a sudden.

We also tried Boo on a steroid (prednisolone) and it did not help his FHS.

jeanne573

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info on FAD Boo's mom.....I still feel hesitant because I don't want to do too many things at the same time.  Think I will wait until effects of steroid shot subside.  How long did it take for Boo?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the info on FAD Boo's mom.....I still feel hesitant because I don't want to do too many things at the same time.  Think I will wait until effects of steroid shot subside.  How long did it take for Boo?
I understand.   I'm sorry...how long did what take?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The effects from the Depro shot.......
Boo didn't have the Depo shot. I wouldn't have allowed it (I mentioned this above...not sure if you saw that). He was on an oral steroid (called prednisolone), so I had to pill him with it. We did that for a few weeks. Since I didn't see improvement, we slowly tapered him off.

kim davis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old cat started these symptoms several weeks ago.  I had been trying her on a cheaper brand of canned cat food, going through numerous brands that he will not touch.  She LOVES a more expensive brand, so after 3 months I gave in and bought it again.  His episodes started shortly thereafter and I took him to the vet twice with no help whatsoever.  As a precaution, I stopped giving him the canned food.  We could think of nothing else that had radically changed in our home that might stress our guy.

Yesterday, after 3 weeks of gradually reduced, but not gone, symptoms (growling, hissing, fighting his tail, SCARY), I gave him the canned food yesterday morning and last night.  He had a HORRIBLE night, vomiting and full fledged aggravation all over.  I think he has an allergic reaction to this food and will stop it forever and entirely.  

Not sure if this helps anyone else,, but it might be something to consider.  (I've tried pheromone spray, amitriptyline, sage smudging my home).  For now, he will just be given dry food.

kim davis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No wonder my guy is crazy...HE is not a SHE...  He's a 2 year old tuxedo rescue.

sara457

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My 2 year old cat started these symptoms several weeks ago.  I had been trying her on a cheaper brand of canned cat food, going through numerous brands that he will not touch.  She LOVES a more expensive brand, so after 3 months I gave in and bought it again.  His episodes started shortly thereafter and I took him to the vet twice with no help whatsoever.  As a precaution, I stopped giving him the canned food.  We could think of nothing else that had radically changed in our home that might stress our guy.

Yesterday, after 3 weeks of gradually reduced, but not gone, symptoms (growling, hissing, fighting his tail, SCARY), I gave him the canned food yesterday morning and last night.  He had a HORRIBLE night, vomiting and full fledged aggravation all over.  I think he has an allergic reaction to this food and will stop it forever and entirely.  

Not sure if this helps anyone else,, but it might be something to consider.  (I've tried pheromone spray, amitriptyline, sage smudging my home).  For now, he will just be given dry food.
just be sure to get your cat to drink extra water. One of our cats ended up with crystals after 3 weeks without canned food. But it's an interesting thought, about the canned food. We don't know what chemicals are used - even just the tin itself...especially the ones that are white inside. My other cat started showing signs of his back twitching and he also had his leg go into spasms, just like my other cat. So it is most likely dietary. Though there are people on this site that have fed their cats raw and still had problems, I believe...

Last edited:

kim davis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My spoiled boy prefers water from the tap, and will drink a long time every time someone is in the kitchen or bathroom.  I keep fresh water for him, even bought a bubble water "fountain", not interested. I had wondered about trying one of the large hamster water bottles to see if he might "self-trigger" that when we're not home at his beck & call.  :)    I initially tried raw, but all the bone meal, etc...was more than I wanted to tackle.  Makes me sad, because he gets so excited to hear a can open...won't touch any other brand.  This has been a nightmare.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz has been on raw for almost three years; her FHS symptoms became worse after being vaccinated. I love raw, but it's not a cure for everything.
She won't be getting any more vaccinations. I'll get her blood tested for antibodies for rabies; if it is high enough, she won't need rabies. And waive distemper.