Feline Hyperesthesia

muggie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, 

I'm new here, but I'm coming here for some comfort. My little fur baby (she just turned a year old) is showing signs of Feline Hyperesthesia; she has the rolling skin on her back and seems to have twitches in her ears as well (her back twitches are worse when I touch her lower back/tail base). However, they don't seem to be causing her any pain and she's not showing any other symptoms. My vet didn't get her a second looked and told me she was fine, but I know these twitches are not normal. I just want her to be okay, she's my world.
Do any of you have stories of feline hyperesthesia and was it fatal to your cat or anything?
Thanks in advance xo 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it's pretty normal for a cat to twitch when you are touching their lower back and tail area.  If she isn't running around while twitching, chasing her tail as if it's not part of her, etc., then it may be nothing, particularly if your Vet already examined her.   (I once thought my cat had this also, from reading too much about it, and it turned out to be nothing
)

annetteh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm new here just joined now.
My cat has feline hyperesthesia and it started in January. I have had my cat 7 years and he was found in plastic bag at 1-2 days old so I reared him myself. I absolutely adore him. In January my cat got hyperesthesia due to trauma ( accident then in hospital away from me for 4 days). This is a devastating condition and my cat is really severe. Chasing tail, sounds like full scale fight with cats, he's terrified, seeing things and it's constant on and on. So far it's cost £8,000.00 ( thank god for insurance). My darling boy was scheduled for surgery to have his tail amputated tomorrow and I just came on here and the first post I read was some one who had just had it done on there cat and the cat was now going crazy after the stump. I am so very thankful I saw that as now I'm just going to have to stick to medication and hope we find one that just calms him down. He's on steroids, gabapentin and amytritaline ( spelt wrong) and was a lot calmer for last 2 week but 2 days ago came on full belt again.
I love my little boy , shoop is his name and we r at the point where if attack not to severe he holds his tail till I get there and cover it. If severe I have to just get cover over him and I just talk and shush him for as long as it takes me to calm him. It absolutely breaks my heart seeing him suffer like this. I have slep on my sofa for 11 weeks so I'm there ready when he starts. I just hope and pray I find a medication that gives my boy some peace.