Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome

DaisyGrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am looking to see if anyone else has experienced this with their cats. Mine is a 4 year old male, and he began this self mutilation about 8 months ago. He started scratching his face and neck, causing open areas roughly quarter size. I took him in, and he had the whole gammat of test, swabs, anything that could be under a microscope. Nothing showed. He was given an antibiotic, steroid, antihistamine, and Prozac. His face would heal for a few days, then he'd scratch it apart. I took him in a month after, as his areas were getting bigger and he would be OK a day then rip himself up again. The vet ran all the different tests again, and he was treated. Nothing showed for any bacteria, yeast, bugs if any sort, nothing. He's always been a more nervous animal. He is on Gabapentin now. His face was healing 2 days, and this morning it's torn apart. I keep his front and hind nails trimmed. Nothing has helped. I read this syndrome develops between age 1 and 5 in cats. I have not found anything that can cure it. He's harming himself daily, and I am so sad for him. My next thought is euthanasia. He has to be miserable, and I cannot imaging self mutilating every day or every other day is good. I would like to know if anyone else has or has had a cat with this and maybe if you had success, what it was you used. I can't see him suffering, and him scratching open the aide of his face raw must hurt and be so miserable. No quality of life in that. Please don't judge me. I'm trying everything I can to help him, and this is my last resort. Reaching out for a possible answer. Thank you all. ♡

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Has anyone considered that this might be either a food or environmental allergy, especially given his scratching seems to be isolated to his face/neck? Just something else to consider. An allergy can come about at any time, so even if he hasn't gone through any food changes, he might have just recently acquired it. That can happen too with environmental allergies, but it is worth taking a closer look around to see if anything might have recently changed, like his litter, cleaning products, candles/scented oils, perfumes, molds, and even grass. Steroids and antihistamines would certainly help in the case of allergies. Prozac and gabapentin, probably not so much.

In the meantime, while you wait to hear directly from other members who have dealt with this, here is a TCS article on the condition, as well as a link to previous related posts that you might want to look through.
Feline Hyperesthesia - TheCatSite
Search Results for Query: FHS | TheCatSite
Search Results for Query: feline hyperesthesia | TheCatSite

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Does he show signs of FHS? Aside from the mutilation, there should be episodes of non-recognition of you, attacking his tail or other parts of his body as if he does not recognize them, huge dark eyes, and a change in personality when these episodes occur. It is almost like something takes possession of them when the FSH occurs.

If you aren't seeing this, I would really recommend that you see if there is a cause such as an allergy.

I had a cat dxed with FSH and her episodes were severe, but she never self mutilated her face.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read and reread your post but your cat's symptoms sound more like a "hot spots" than FHS. My FHS cat first presented with rippling skin before the seizure like sttacking the base of the tail and then actually chasing/attacking the tail. Her spells bore remarked similarity to my daughter's seizures - staring, not recognizing me, dilated pupils, twitching , tics.
You are doing your due diligence, considering all causes of your kitty's misery. Does applying raw, unrefined coconut oil seem to help? Your vet or a holistic vet might be able to recommend calming herbs such as german chamomile and maybe adding slippery elm bark decoction to the topical care. These situations are terribly concerning and frustrating for cats and their guardians.
In addition to the previously suggested environmental factors, dishes can be the culprit, whether plastic, some stainless steel, even the drinking water. Residues in the bedding are other possibilities especially if cleaning products have scents.
Keep up the good detective work and please keep us updated!🕵️‍♀️
Hyperesthesia Syndrome

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm thinking food allergies like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner because he is apparently only doing this around his neck and head. These are classic symptoms. What are you feeding him? Did you change his food shortly before these symptoms started? You didn't even have to because sometimes allergies appear even to foods they have been eating for years. But it would be helpful to know what he eats so we can try to help.

To me, these are not FHS symptoms at all, but severe allergies. (and, also as noted above, could be from one teeny flea, even if he's an indoor only cat. fleas can be carried inside on pant legs, etc.)