Feline Herpes?

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a suspicion that our cats have herpes, but we are unsure. It started with bringing two kittens to the house, whom were quite sick a sneezed a lot when we found them. After a couple weeks my cats had ulcers in their mouths and on their noses with fevers. After recovering from that, two of my cats had an issue where they would gag whenever they'd try to eat or purr. Well, one of those two cats now has an eye issue that flared up today. I've never seen her eye like this before ever in my life. She has been quite stressed due to a new cat we introduced to the house a few months ago now. She has definitely been the most negatively affected. I'll post some photos and would just like an opinion if you guys think her eye issue could be a flare up. Her eye is very pink around the edges and appears swollen. There was a bit of green gunk in it as well. I gave her some regular eye drops we had from awhile back from the vet and cleaned her eye out with a warm, damp cloth. We give the two kittens (9-10 months old now) and one of my older cats that got sick the second time with this one who now has the eye problems, L-Lysine daily because the kittens sneezed quite a bit, but they did not have any discharge or runny eyes or noses whatsoever. It's been over a month since they've been getting their L-Lysine and the sneezing has basically stopped. I gave the one with this new eye issue L-Lysine today and plan on giving her a daily dose as well from now on since she has been most affected. Here are some pictures. Sorry she kept moving around.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very common for resident cats to develop upper respiratory like infections, eye infections, and even urinary tract issues when new kittens are introduced into the home. This might not be herpes, but it could be. Since there was green discharge, she needs to be seen by the vet since that indicates some kind of infection going on.

To help her adjust, you can run Feliway diffusers or use one of the Spirit Essences products.  We have found Peacemaker works for our kitties well when needed to defuse tensions when Feliway doesn't quite cut it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's very common for resident cats to develop upper respiratory like infections, eye infections, and even urinary tract issues when new kittens are introduced into the home. This might not be herpes, but it could be. Since there was green discharge, she needs to be seen by the vet since that indicates some kind of infection going on.

To help her adjust, you can run Feliway diffusers or use one of the Spirit Essences products.  We have found Peacemaker works for our kitties well when needed to defuse tensions when Feliway doesn't quite cut it.
We have had the kittens for about 6 or 7 months now, so I don't think what she has now is from them being introduced anymore, but who knows. I have been giving her eye drops every four hours or so and her eye is already looking a lot better, still bad, but not what it was earlier by any means. I'll continue with this for another day or two and see if she gets any better. It's really tough to get them to the vet right now because I have two jobs and my boyfriend has a full time job and has university, but obviously if I definitely think she needs to go I will do all I can to get her there.
Anyway, we are keeping her separate from the other cats (we have 15) in my room with one of the other cats that keeps getting sick on and off. Last time she was sick, we did the same thing, and she calmed down immensely and recovered pretty fast, though she was on antibiotics at that point, but the other cat who was sick recently (for a third time) we have decided to not take her to the vet because they have been on so many antibiotics recently, and being that what they have is a virus, antibiotics don't help with that so much, as it just prevents them from contracting another illness and speeds up process of them recovering. We have had defusers before and they did not work. I can't quite recall the brand. Doesn't lavender scent help them as well? Like if we got an oil burner or wax burner that was lavender scented? I believe we have tried that before as well and it seemed to calm them quite a lot. Ever since we brought these kittens in, we have had so many problems, after 10 years of having extremely healthy cats and now they just seem to be getting sick on and off. The most stressed cats are the most affected. I just hate seeing them like this. It stresses me out so much. It's like every time I think we are out of the woods, another one gets sick.

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow - it is so rough not knowing what your cat may have. Since she is showing improvement, is isolated and is getting the L-lysine, you probably can continue the "wait and see".  You might consider consulting a holistic vet to get some advice about using herbs. there are herbs that work for cats, but there are others that are fine for humans but not kitties. If you do call or see, you could ask about using slippery elm, marshmallow root, licorice root and elderberry extract. also ask about using coconut oil - I had a cat get attacked by raccoons and her sores would not heal, despite two different antibiotics, both oral and externally. We also tried three different ointments.

the cat cured herself by begging for some coconut oil, which she ate eagerly. After asking my vet, who approved the coconut oil, I put some on the sores and by the next morning, the sores had skinned-over. thus began my use of coconut oil for medicinal purposes - I have even been able to eat it to help sooth inflammation in my insides.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow - it is so rough not knowing what your cat may have. Since she is showing improvement, is isolated and is getting the L-lysine, you probably can continue the "wait and see".  You might consider consulting a holistic vet to get some advice about using herbs. there are herbs that work for cats, but there are others that are fine for humans but not kitties. If you do call or see, you could ask about using slippery elm, marshmallow root, licorice root and elderberry extract. also ask about using coconut oil - I had a cat get attacked by raccoons and her sores would not heal, despite two different antibiotics, both oral and externally. We also tried three different ointments.

the cat cured herself by begging for some coconut oil, which she ate eagerly. After asking my vet, who approved the coconut oil, I put some on the sores and by the next morning, the sores had skinned-over. thus began my use of coconut oil for medicinal purposes - I have even been able to eat it to help sooth inflammation in my insides.
I have definitely been trying to figure out some holistic approaches to helping the healing process of her eye, so thank you for some suggestions. Coconut oil is okay for them to eat then? How much could I give her?
It is day three and it is still pink and inflamed, but the goop isn't as bad as before as I'm keeping it clean. It is quite sunny still, clear, but runny. She doesn't squint it really at all unless she has just woken up, which I take as a good sign that hopefully there isn't any sort of corneal sores or anything of the sort. She seems to appreciate what I'm doing for her, which is always nice. Every time I wipe her eye she purrs and gets very sweet and happy. She is still isolated and actually seems happier than ever, despite being in a meddium-sized bedroom and that's it. She definitely is a cat who would love being an only cat. I have been reading, and if it is herpes, topical antibiotics for her eye would not really do much at all. If it was mycoplasma, the ointment would help, or chlamydia too. I wish I knew what it was, I really do. I don't honestly know the difference between symptoms of herpes and mycoplasma. People on here have mentioned both as culprits of what my cats could have. I just don't know though. I definitely am leaning way towards them having herpes though. The outbreaks when they are stressed is a huge sign to me.

Last edited:

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
15 cats is alot to be taking care of especially if your so busy, we find our seven difficult at times. I apologize if this is in the thread but how old is your ill cat. Dose she has the regular vaccines because the rino... something one is for the herpes virus and would help prevent spreading it in your population. I was reading the health form because one (18 month old )of mine is ill with a upper respiratory problem,antibiotics are not working and he won't eat enough toget l-lysine in him. I think he was ill with it shortly after our now10 months old kittens were at about 9 weeks, but mummas milk seems to left the much better off and there have been no relapses. But Rudy was 5 months when they were born and is not getting better. I got him sud q fluilds and anti inflammatorys yesterday on our second trip in to vet The hope is that he'd have more energy and feel well enough to eat and drink more than the tiny bit he had been. I talked to the vet about how impossible it is for them to test for herpes vs chlamidyia the theory is if they make a slide from eye goo and reading it under the scope the know but apparently often provides no answers. I woud got ahead with otc polysporine ointment or pink eye drops.
It can't actually hurt and some vets okay it, and wash your hands a lot.
I haven't separated our sick guy out because he loves he other cats. And they him as their mom disappeared ( wilderness area ) when they were 4 months.

lawrencb22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That looks like conjunctivitis. Some antibiotics should clear it up.

lawrencb22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not oral antibiotics.
Antibiotics or a steroid eye treatment should help