Feline herpes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My area is so over populated with cats and I am not aware of any no kill shelters but am going to re-search this. I will keep everyone posted.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about the humane society...do they do fostering ? I know some in my province ....do not have anymore space for cats and they have ppl who will foster them and the HS pays for the vet bills to get them healthy....til they can find new homes....

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those precious babies are suffering and if nobody is going to adopt them it would be in their benefit to have them put down now instead of later. Why make them suffer until she gets up the guts to take them to the shelter. I'd take them all and take them to the shelter myself. It won't be easy, knowing the others will be put to sleep, but they will go to the rainbow bridge knowing that someone cared enough to stop their pain now.

Leslie

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by scuns68

My area is so over populated with cats and I am not aware of any no kill shelters but am going to re-search this. I will keep everyone posted.
No kill shelters don't always advertise too loudly, as they would be inundated with people trying to give up their cats. They often limit their intake to the truly homeless or situations like these kittens are in.

One way to find no-kills in your area is to go into www.petfinder.com. Do a search for cats using your zip code. The adoptable cats will be shown with the shelter on the side. You can click on the shelter to read what they are all about.

I had a very young kitten that contracted herpes at about 8 weeks old. Until they are fully vaccinated, it is very hard on a kitten that young. Bogart grew out of it and lived to be 13 (CRF took him). He remained symptomatic his entire life (his respiratory tract was damaged from the initial infection), and he lived with up to 16 other cats, and some of those cats are still in my household with younger cats. Of all those cats, only 1 other has gotten herpes, and he was orphaned young and did not have a good immune system. I can't even say that he got it from Bogart, as he didn't become ill until after Bogart crossed.

If it were me: When you talk to the vet, find out what you are dealing with. If this can be reversed, see if you can find a shelter to help you with these poor babies. And if you can't find help, then all I can say is that I agree with Laurie - you can't save them all.

for caring!!

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, I went to the Lady, and as soon as I got close I just wanted to cry. The house, the yard, this place was a disaster. At least 5 cats outside, one showed URI systems, the other one came across like she had Asthma, one had a broken leg which seemed to be an old wound that just never healed. This was a nice neighborhood, and I cannot believe nobody complains. Well, before I get to the kittens story I will need to turn these people in, I have to. A complete mess. It took a while before she let me in, she was just going to hand me the box with the kitten. I went inside and just wanted to cry, the mama cat looked like she was still a baby. She showed me 3 kittens, I asked where the 4th one was, she said someone took it, I believe it is dead. Anyways, I took them all 3 with me, there was no way I could leave them. I am hoping that it is just a severe case of URI we will find out tomorrow. The calicos eye is gone, I am pretty sure, the other kitties eyes are shot is yellow puss. The 3d one isnt too bad. All of them are covered in fleas, I have them in a cage covered up , they are all sleeping. Hopefully it is not too late for them, they are all still pretty active and I am guessing around 7/8 weeks old.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is just toooooooooo sad! THANK YOU for saving those kittens, and DO call the SPCA! (Don't know if it's the same there, but here they are the ones authorized to prosecute or manage those situations. If you call the local police, they just refer you to the SPCA.)

I hope you can save them!

Laurie

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I will need to call the SPCA for animal cruelty. I truly hope I can save them, they are all soo cute. Once they are cleaned up, free of fleas and their eyes look better I take some pictures. The also went right up to the kitten food, wonder if they were even fed. Hopefully they make it until tomorrow they made it soo far.

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Laurie,

I just hope the vet is not going to tell me something I dont want to hear. The calico lost her left eye, the other one is perfect, it is a big dark ball where the eye used to be. And these darn fleas dont make matter any better. I didnt want to bath them, I will let them sleep for now and tomorrow is a new day.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully they're old enough you'll be able to apply Advantage or something - it is much faster and more effective than a flea bath. And I agree - worry about a bath later.

...But yeah, I know what you mean about hoping the vet doesn't have to tell you something you don't want to hear. In our rescue work, we've been lucky. Other than the few that died on the way to the vet (
), we haven't had any that couldn't be saved once they got TO the vet.

Laurie

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are very tuff creatures, so I am hoping they will be ok. I will be back tomorrow with an update.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh! Those poor babies!
Thank God you saved them, regardless of the outcome...no creature should be allowed to suffer so much. I would also say to take pictures of the kittens before you clean them up in case they need them for prosecution

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, what a horrible story. Good luck with these kittens. You are an angel!
I wouldn't have been able to leave them there either. How horrible. Many that the kittens turn out to be okay.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I came here looking for a good news update ? Thank goodness you took all those poor babies.....sounds like they have a better chance now than they would have with that lady...I agree....its times she gets reported...

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness, i've never seen anything like it in my life

Thank you for helping these babies
Did you manage to report this person yet?. The sooner the better for me before more poor animals have to suffer

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart for taking those kittens
and I would definatly report that lady! It is so sad to see helpless animals in such bad situations!You need to be their voice
Good for you

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm glad you took them all - sounds like you did the right thing, given the conditions there!

my Pixel [senior cat] has herpes. none of the other 4 have ever shown any symptoms whatsoever - & Pixel is my snuggler/mama-figure. she snuggles w/anyone who wants it, washes & is washed by pretty much everyone... hasn't seemed to have been a problem.

however, since the eyes are pussy, there's probably a secondary infection that will need some antibiotic treatment.

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, here is the update on the kittens.
The vet estimated them to be between 4 to 5 weeks old. All of the have a URI and eye infection. I asked her about the Herpes scare I have, but she didnt say much. I have received antibiotics for the URI and Eye drops for the infecte eyes. Unfortunately the Humane Society only handles basic issues and the calicos eye is gone and needs to be removed before the infection spreads. The all white one only has the symptoms I just talked about. The last kitty that is a creamy/brown color unfortunately will loose one eye. It is not lost yet, but the vet has not much of hope. Tomorrow I will take the 2 kitties with the eye problem to another Vet to see what can be done and what can fit my wallet. I was told this Vet is great with decent rates. Just within 24 hours they came around quit a bit, the last kitty I was talking about I force fed today, and I had her jusmp started where she went and ate, they even started to play around. Unfortunately they are too young for flea treatment, but I can give hem a bath, which I will do after the vet tomorrow gives me the ok.

I am planning on taking some close up picutes tomorrow, and will let you all see, it is a mess and as long as animal lovers like us come around and take in those animals that didnt receive the care they needed to begin with, people are going to continue to count on us. I will put a stop to one this week.