Feline herpes what to do

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A friend of my daughter just lost her little rescue kitten to disease and she was given a kitten from a shelter in Belton Arkansas. Now it has runny nose, matted eyes and diagnosed with herpes. She’s devastated! I need to know the bottom line for this baby since she has another cat, my daughter has two cats, etc.
cure?
Treatment?
Transmission?
Etc
Advice on what to do?

Thanks btw I told her to go to a recognized rescue group in the area since her first kitten was from a small Little Rock shelter but you know kids

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescued a 4 week kitten from the streets years ago whose eyes were red and watery. I looked to see if there were any other abandoned kittens around, but found none. I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with Feline herpes virus. She was put on antibiotic drops and oral antibiotic. She had a very stubborn case and after another vet visit, some time, and determination-- the little ones eyes cleared up. She became healthy and I ended up adopting her. Feline herpes is common ailment and can affected kittens and unvaccinated cats. The cats can live normal lives, however, FHV can flare up when the cat is stressed out. My kitty had a few minor episodes, but nothing like the condition I originally found her in. You shouldn't be afraid of this condition. My kitty had a bad case of it and she lived a pretty normal life.

One more thing, FHV is very contagious, for the most part among unvaccinated kitties, please take precaution when having this kitten around other kitties, especially at this time. This virus cannot be transmitted to humans or dogs

There are many articles on this subject. It is not a death sentence and it can be managed. Also, the kitten I adopted grew up with other cats, and they did not catch it. Having your pets vaccinated and up to date with shots is so important in keeping them healthy. Well, I hope this answers your question and you feel more relieved about your kitten's condition.🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So you’re saying there’s a vaccine for this? If so couldn’t she quarantine the kitten and vaccinate the others, wait the appropriate time and then not worry about transmission?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: ! Cat Herpes: FVR and FHV-1 Symptoms and Treatments

Yes, other kittens should be vaccinated for it. All other cats who have already received the vaccination protocols are somewhat, but not entirely, protected. The vaccine will not completely prevent an infection from occurring if a cat is exposed to the virus, but it will significantly reduce the severity of the infection and will shorten the length of the illness.