Feline Herpes Virus

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

What lysine are you using? I ask as some contain things other than just lysine
Excellent point Sharky! Make sure it is 100% pure Lysine!
BTY, this is a great one, cheap, 100% pure, tasteless, that you can add to the water or food - it's the one I use...
Now foods L-Lysine

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

What lysine are you using? I ask as some contain things other than just lysine
That was my thought too, that he was reacting to something else, if she is using a veterinary paste, for instance.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Mattie also gets lysine every day. The vet told me just buy it from Wal Mart. I crush a 500 mg. pill and add to her food every day. When I get an outbreak of fever blisters, I take it myself. It gets rid of them.

ruby35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet gave me a powdered form of L-Lysine that says on the label it contains a pleasing taste very palatable to cats. It stinks like crazy but I was giving both kittens two little scoops each day because my new one, Frankie, has a history of severe URIs before I adopted him and I wanted to keep them both well. I'm going to switch to one scoop a day for each because the clavimox I got from the vet seems to have taken care of this sneezing/weepy eyes thing he's had since I brought him home from the shelter.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used the human Lysine supplement in capsules for my kitten, I just opened the capsule up and mixed the powder with his food (my vet said this was ok.)
My cat Church had chronic URIs when he was a baby. When I rescued him as a 5-week-old feral he had a really bad one so we had to get medication but my vet also had me put him on Lysine which helped a lot. My vet said he had herpes virus but he wasn't tested for it specifically.
My vet said there is a higher risk under anesthesia if they have a URI but we waited until Church was 6 months old and healthier (although he still had stuffy nose) to get him neutered. As he got older his URIs cleared up, he hasn't had one since he became an adult and I stopped giving Lysine because he began to refuse to eat the food if it had Lysine in it.
I've been told cats can "grow out of" FHV or just have flare-ups if they are stressed. The only lasting effect is that he tends to squint a lot.