Feline herpes nose lesion

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Kino2 I'm so sorry about the difficulties you are having with your vet and that Lloyd's mouth and nasal lesions are not improving.  I spoke to the ophthalmologist at my vets last week as Mouse's eye was runny: they immediately gave me a 2 week supply of 500mg 2 x daily L Lysine after I talked through with them the information I'd been reading from this site. They just asked me to let them know how he was in 2 weeks (unless he got worse in which case I'd be right down to the surgery).  They are less keen on maintenance doses but I'm pretty sure they will be doing further reading before I'm due to call back but am confident already about their level of knowledge as they cover the local rescue home.

When Mouse's mouth lesions were at their worst  (all around gums, tongue, plus tonsils) he did get a steriod injection to help with the immediate pain so I could get him to eat and drink, plus antibiotic for the secondary infections going on but they only ever gave him minimum medication. Vets did not identify herpes until later when the eye problems started.  Thankfully he didn't have any adverse reactions to the steroid.  I know how sick he was at that time and my heart goes out to you, I hope Lloyd starts to feel better soon.  Information  from Stephanietx (and LDG) has been really useful for me, both in my discussions with my vet and decisions about how to best care for Mouse generally.  Good luck in finding better vet care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kino2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks MServant and always Stephanietx. I have seen now a lot of discussion on this site talking about dosage of famciclovir. Lloyd has been on 125 mg 3 times a day and lesion continued to grow but saw no side effects from it either. We are waiting for the 3rd report to come back next week from Michigan University. second report was herpes on the lesion. We are back to the Synotic drops to nose 30 min
Later silver sulfadiazine cr . oral meds are now--L-lysine 500 two times daily.and EPO daily. I will say my son came and said Even tho no smaller felt appearance of lesion looked better. He doesn't see every day as I do. Talked with humane society they referred me to clinic that I found out uses this Dermatology Dr. He says if next test is positive for herpes can put back on famciclovir and can go as high as 250 mg 3 times daily. Will call the primary Vet next wk and have them check on this as they referred us to ophthalmologist in the first place. They have been understanding and admit when they don't know so I hope the young one will call around and check for me if we really can go this high of dose.i can't seem to find on my own the max dose that has been documented without side effects. We are hopeful that they do send a new dermatologist to the area and they have experience with Feline herpes. He still eats well and has not had a relapse of eye lesions but I do give drops daily. No squinting. After the initial upper resp problems ok that way too. As a nurse I just can't believe I can't heal a lesion that's frustrating. Thanks all

kino2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As a note from my last posting the famciclovir along with 2 different eye drops including Interferon eye drops is what it took to clear up eye lesions on Lloyd

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you joined the Yahoo feline herpes group?  You might get some good help there regarding clearing up the nose lesion.

kino2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lloyd's final biopsy of lesion on nose- herpes. Started back on Famciclovir 250 mg two times daily for 12 doses now will increase to 3 times a day. Lesion continues to grow about half the nose. Continues with L-Lysine 500 two times a day and silvadene cr. hope this works or they will increase even more b4 we try interferon injections which can have terrible side effects. No adverse reactions yet from higher dose of Famciclovir will have labs done in 3 wks to check kidney liver and bone marrow , Did join yahoo group, unable to post and only get other correspondence by e-mail so far. Will be taking back to primary vet sat to continue under his care until new dermatologist will be sent.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sad to hear Lloyd's nasal lesion has continued to grow. I really hope for you both that he responds to the current increases in medication. Is his mouth any better or is this still affected as well?

kino2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank goodness mouth seems better and appetite is good and plays with buddy Walter. Thank you