Feline Friends by the Office Park

JarvisPu

Buddy
Kitten
Purraise
spotted an adorable stray cat, but it seemed quite scared of me. Should I be cautious? Upon closer observation, I noticed there are many more stray cats in the area, but they all keep their distance. They look really thin, and I want to help. What should I do?They are really too many in number.
1694079677235.png
1694079689245.png
1694079700800.png

Later, I saw it again, and I tried putting out some cat food. Aww, it started eating!
1694079710261.png
1694079716258.png
1694079725320.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JarvisPu

Buddy
Kitten
Purraise
Is it okay to post a thread asking for advice on The Cat Site for the first time

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
spotted an adorable stray cat, but it seemed quite scared of me. Should I be cautious? Upon closer observation, I noticed there are many more stray cats in the area, but they all keep their distance. They look really thin, and I want to help. What should I do?They are really too many in number.
Is it okay to post a thread asking for advice on The Cat Site for the first time
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS! Yes, you are welcomed to ask for advice.

Thank you for taking interest in taking care of these feral cats and in regards to that you want to help these feral cats, may I ask in what capacity that you want to help them? Is it just feeding them, befriending them, Trap Neuter Release them or even taking some back home to keep them as your pets or even try to get them adopted? These are some of the more important questions you have to ask yourself if you are ready to take care of them.

Taking care of them just as they are takes quite a bit of your time and finance and it's a real commitment to ensure that they live a good life outdoors and also make sure that they are healthy and if they fall sick, they have to be brought to the vet for treatments.
Is there or are there some other people are taking care of them right now? If there is, you may also want to check with them and see how you could help as to some, feeding the cats means the cats belongs to them and they may not like the idea of someone else coming into their turf.

You may ask as many questions as you like regarding this matter and I'm sure our members who have experience in this area will be most happy to help you answer your questions and guide you along. So feel free to ask questions and there's no such thing as a stupid question here.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi JarvisPu.... welcome!

Can you tell if an ear has been clipped on any of them? If not, they probably haven't been neutered. I agree with all that tabbytom tabbytom wrote. If you decide that caring for this group of cats is more than you want to take on, could you take some time to contact rescue groups in your area to see if they would put you in contact with someone doing TNR? (If anyone is.) It's still important that they be neutered to prevent the colony from growing.

JarvisPu

Buddy
Kitten
Purraise
TCS确实非常热情!没想到会收到这么多回复。

JarvisPu

Buddy
Kitten
Purraise
TCS is indeed very enthusiastic! I didn't expect to receive so many responses. ( Sorry, I apologize for my incorrect use of language earlier.

JarvisPu

Buddy
Kitten
Purraise
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS! Yes, you are welcomed to ask for advice.

Thank you for taking interest in taking care of these feral cats and in regards to that you want to help these feral cats, may I ask in what capacity that you want to help them? Is it just feeding them, befriending them, Trap Neuter Release them or even taking some back home to keep them as your pets or even try to get them adopted? These are some of the more important questions you have to ask yourself if you are ready to take care of them.

Taking care of them just as they are takes quite a bit of your time and finance and it's a real commitment to ensure that they live a good life outdoors and also make sure that they are healthy and if they fall sick, they have to be brought to the vet for treatments.
Is there or are there some other people are taking care of them right now? If there is, you may also want to check with them and see how you could help as to some, feeding the cats means the cats belongs to them and they may not like the idea of someone else coming into their turf.

You may ask as many questions as you like regarding this matter and I'm sure our members who have experience in this area will be most happy to help you answer your questions and guide you along. So feel free to ask questions and there's no such thing as a stupid question here.
There are too many cats, so today I looked into it and found out that they deliberately released cats in the office park to catch mice, but there are some stray cats mixed in, like one that looks very much like a Maine Coon. Should I continue to feed them?

JarvisPu

Buddy
Kitten
Purraise
Hi JarvisPu.... welcome!

Can you tell if an ear has been clipped on any of them? If not, they probably haven't been neutered. I agree with all that tabbytom tabbytom wrote. If you decide that caring for this group of cats is more than you want to take on, could you take some time to contact rescue groups in your area to see if they would put you in contact with someone doing TNR? (If anyone is.) It's still important that they be neutered to prevent the colony from growing.
Understood. I will try to contact a local sterilization organization for animals. It is true that if they are not sterilized, they will continue to reproduce, and the population will keep increasing.

JarvisPu

Buddy
Kitten
Purraise
Hi JarvisPu.... welcome!

If I continue to feed them under reasonable circumstances, would that be able to help them?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
There are too many cats, so today I looked into it and found out that they deliberately released cats in the office park to catch mice, but there are some stray cats mixed in, like one that looks very much like a Maine Coon. Should I continue to feed them?
Are they being fed regularly by anyone of are they just left to hunt for their own meals? I don't know exactly how many are there in your many and if there are many of them, food source is likely to be scarce where they hang out and most likely they'll venture else where to find food.

Yes you can continue to feed them if there's no problem under reasonable circumstances and also you have answered your own question about the reproduction part.

So as to help them, you need to feed them, befriend them and do a TNR program in your schedule. Definitely it'll be a great help to them if you are able to do all these things. It'll definitely benefit the colony.

JarvisPu

Buddy
Kitten
Purraise
Are they being fed regularly by anyone of are they just left to hunt for their own meals? I don't know exactly how many are there in your many and if there are many of them, food source is likely to be scarce where they hang out and most likely they'll venture else where to find food.

Yes you can continue to feed them if there's no problem under reasonable circumstances and also you have answered your own question about the reproduction part.

So as to help them, you need to feed them, befriend them and do a TNR program in your schedule. Definitely it'll be a great help to them if you are able to do all these things. It'll definitely benefit the colony.
Now I am unable to confirm which among them are stray cats and which ones are used for catching mice; it's not good to spay/neuter all of them. My plan is to not intervene in their reproductive situation until their numbers are not significantly affecting the surrounding environment. Currently, my only option is to continue feeding them. While communicating with the personnel in the office park, I have also tried placing some cat food bowls for feeding. However, due to my lack of experience, the cat food has been getting wet in the rain or eaten by ants.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Now I am unable to confirm which among them are stray cats and which ones are used for catching mice; it's not good to spay/neuter all of them. My plan is to not intervene in their reproductive situation until their numbers are not significantly affecting the surrounding environment. Currently, my only option is to continue feeding them. While communicating with the personnel in the office park, I have also tried placing some cat food bowls for feeding. However, due to my lack of experience, the cat food has been getting wet in the rain or eaten by ants.
Since you are unsure of determining the situation, I guess you keep, watch on the situation and act accordingly and also continue to communicate with the personnel in the office park.

As for placing the cat food out of the rain, can you get some cardboard boxes big enough for the cat to get inside and also wrap the power layer of the cardboard box and also on the inside bottom where the food bow is. The plastic wrap will keep the box and food dry and but only thing is you won't be sure which direction the wind is blowing. Also you can place a bigger tray or plate filled with water and place the cat food bowl in it. The water acts like a moat and as long as there is a space of water between the food bowl and floor, the ants can't get to the food.