Feline diabetes

cat mama to 4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 cats...three of them are 13 years old, and the other is 14.  One of my 13 year olds (Scooter), who is a large tabby, was diagnosed about 2 months ago with diabetes.Still trying to get him regulated...4 ccs of insulin twice a day and diabetic food.  He has suffered nerve damage in all four legs but can still walk, wobbly, and jump slightly.  My vet has him on Hills MD food.  I've been feeding wet for main meals with dry for in between snacks.  He has to have some snacks to keep his blood sugar from collapsing until he's regulated.   I'm still educating myself about feline diabetes and finding my way as best I can.  I'm also an avid reader about food as I've always wanted them on a high quality food, high protein. There are so many mixed messages out there about dry food.  I've started feeding them dry for their morning meal and wet in the evening. I have three questions for anyone who can respond: 1) what's your take on dry vs. wet for main diet; and 2) is there any reason not to feed my nondiabetic cats the Hills MD...they all 3 love it!, and 3) your suggestions for best food overall.  Thank you.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.felinediabetes.com/   This website has a lot of good info.  Hopefully someone who has dealt with this will see this after it's bumped back up.  The way I understand the diet is like that for a person with diabetes, watching the carbs.  High protein low carb is the way to go.  I personally feel that wet food is a better diet because generally it's lower carb but like all general statements there are the exceptions.