Feline cystitis Please Help

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad he is doing well. My foster suffered stress related cystitis, and wet food only, extra water in his food and Cystaid helped him tremendously. Not all vets stock Cystaid though, but you can buy it online without a prescription, you just have to buy a large tub (250 capsules). For things like Cystaid, and Feliway, you can get them cheaper through places like VetUK and BestPet Pharmacy (they also sell things like Frontline and DRontal cheaper than your vet too), and if you go through some rescues, they get a 5% commission - let me know if you want a list of rescues that you can help by ordering through them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cobbybear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, Archie has suffered a setback. The vet has just informed me this morning that his kidneys are failing, probably due to all the treatment he has had recently. I'm so scared that i'm going to lose him now, after all he's been through.

cobbybear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Archie's kidneys our fine now. He suffered another blockage and because he had recently had a bladder operation, urine was leaking out from where it had been opened up and travelling around his body. He has had tests and his kidneys and other organs have suffered no permanent damage, which is good news. The vet has decided to keep him catheterized for a week to give his bladder time to heal as pieces of the bladder lining have been coming away and that is what's causing him to reblock, it also seems to keep blocking in the same place. If he reblocks again my vet has suggested an operation to remove his penis and create another hole further up, but she only wants to do this as a last resort because of other possible complications. If anyone has any info on this type of operation I would be interested to know. Thanks.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I had a cat that needed that surgery at two years old. It was very successful and he lived to the ripe old age of 15 when he developed cancer on his liver. Not sure though if it will work if the bladder lining is coming off. I think they used cosemein for that. You should probably give that as well, even after the surgery, depending on what the vet says.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a couple of people who have had that op done - one is 22 now, and it was over 10 years when he had his op done, it was when it was only just being introduced. The other was about 2 years ago. Not sure if either are near where you are, I can only remember where one of hte people lives

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi hon! I am so sorry to hear what you're going through with your babe... my cat had the same issue, and I took him to an ER where they put a cath in, and since his urethra was so small - upon taking it out before I took him to my regular vet, it ripped off and was stuck in his bladder. They had to do a bladder surgery to get that out, and then recommend a P/U (I do not know the full term off-hand) but it's basically removing most of the penis so that the larger upper part of the urethra will be near the outside and open, and make for less change of future blockages. Then diet comes into play, (Mine's on Science Diet C/D) Your vet should explain the procedure to you, as mine did. He even showed me in a vet book with pictures. To put it as simple as possible, it's like turning a male into a female.
My cat is doing very well and is nearing 10 or so and has had one set back with a bladder infection, but that was because I got sloppy and didn't get his rear end shaved, and urine stayed close and bacteria set in. (long hair male persian) ... I'm sorry it seems to be taking so long to get your baby back. It seemed to take way longer than it was supposed to with mine too. Will pray for your baby and you are both in my thoughts.

cobbybear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks to you all for your replies. The vet phoned me this morning to say that Archie can come home this afternoon
, but I have to take him back for a checkup first thing in the morning. He hasn't had to have a P/U operation yet, but if he does block up again then he will have to. I am hoping that doesn't happen as he has been through enough already, so fingers crossed that it all goes well this time. It will be strange having him home again as he has been in the veterinary hospital for almost a month now, poor thing. My other two cats will be surprised as they're probably not expecting to see him again and have adjusted to him not being here. I'm so pleased to be able to bring him home again and i'm praying that nothing will go wrong this time.

cobbybear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Archie has been home now since last Thursday and is doing well.
He still has a slight temperature so is on antibiotics. He has a vet appointment on Friday, I have to take a urine sample with me, hopefully all will be fine. He is on Royal canin s/o but he's not eating the wet stuff much, I think he's bored with it already which is abit of a nuisance, he loves the dry food though. I used to feed him fresh chicken as a treat and was wondering if it would be ok to give him alittle (or should I ask my vet first), as he is desperate to eat something else,he has even tried to steal off my plate.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think fresh chicken would be fine as a supplement, it is very important for cats to eat adequately. They don't do well without a day or two of food. It affects their liver and could cause irreparable damage. Meat is good for them.

crazyjoemama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[I
]My vet phoned this morning and said that now that the crystals have cleared the problem is probably pyscological. Does anyone have any tips on how to help my cat overcome this. He is quite a nervous cat and often sits and stares at the catflap cause sometimes we get unwelcome visitors who come in to eat all my cats food. I think this might be contributing to his stress and was wondering if it would be a good idea to block the flap off completely. Also, does anyone know of any natural remedies to relieve stress in cats?[/i]
My cat Bailey has had similar problems as your cat. He also is a nervous cat. He had bladder stones at 1 yr, prescription food did not decrease his crystals. He is now 3 and had his penis removed in November because the crystals scarred his urethra so badly, he could no longer urinate. After a recent bout of cystitis, my vet put him on Amitriptyline, because she thinks his bladder woes are caused by allergies and not bacteria. He does not show any other signs of allergies. His fur is great and his eyes are clear. I recommend that you check out onlynaturalpet.com for some natural remedies for his nerves. I have found several supplements there and they aren't too expensive. Also, Feliway Comfort zone plug-ins are supposed to be a great stess reliever.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken will be fine, it is fish that needs to be avoided in cats with urinary issues, and a diet of mainly wet food will help more than dry. Good luck for the vet visit

cobbybear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou. I'm so glad it's ok to give him chicken, he will be really pleased to have something different to eat.