Feline Coronavirus, campylobacter and clostridium

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor 7 month old kitty was adopted Jan 30. He came home with a host of problems we are discovering, the first was Giardia, which he was treated with antibiotics. His condition worsened, and a second fecal panel revealed he also tested positive for Feline Coronavirus, and the campylobacter and clostridium bacterias. The test took 8 days to come back, so glad to have answers so we can begin treatment ASAP!

He is being treated with antibiotics, probiotics, and a Lysene immune support gel,

Anyone have experience with these? He is so listless, hope he gets well soon. It’s sad seeing such a young cat so 😷

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heavy majority of cats have FCoV (feline coronavirus). It's not a disease itself. It only becomes a disease if the virus mutates in their body which happens rarely.

As both FCoV and gardia are about digestive health, if I were you, I would support the digestive system extra by make sure the food is not irritating him. It might be a good idea to use probiotics for a while even after the treatment - discuss with the vet I'll say. Don't forget hairball remedy like malt paste.

Get a few Fortiflora. If he stops eating, Fortiflora is an appetite enhancer too and encourage them to eat (it's used just once a day but better than nothing.)

I would personally also suggest high calorie food. Maybe Orijen or Acana kitten food.

• Purraise
Reactions: HAS

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For probiotics, I would highly recommend S. Boulardi. If you are using something else, that's fine, but I would add S. Boulardi to the mix. And remember, probiotics are the opposite of antibiotics, so normally are given about two hours apart from each other so they don't offset each other.

Here is a thread about clostridium you might find interesting: High Clostridium

Hang in there, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel :alright:

• Purraise
Reactions: HAS
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For probiotics, I would highly recommend S. Boulardi. If you are using something else, that's fine, but I would add S. Boulardi to the mix. And remember, probiotics are the opposite of antibiotics, so normally are given about two hours apart from each other so they don't offset each other.

Here is a thread about clostridium you might find interesting: High Clostridium

Hang in there, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel :alright:
Thank you! I had no idea that you should space out the probiotic and antibiotic! I wish my vet would have mentioned that. I’ve been combining them in a treat for the last few days...🙄