Feline acne

yodathecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this is my first post, and I want to mention an interesting thing I've experienced and wanted to know if anybody else has also had an experience that's similar.

I have a kitty that moved in with us a few years ago, was a stray (possibly feral) in tact male. He was taken to the vet and neutered and later we discovered he had FIV.

He has had feline acne and nothing seemed to make any difference, food and water bowls glass etc. Had spoken to the vet and it was pretty much as case of "we don't know why they get it, and there isn't really anything that can be done".

Move forward a few years, our kitty was involved in a cat fight, his leg got bitten, he was limping and we took him straight to the vet, he was put on antibiotics, didn't fix, still limping, had to operate, clean out, antibiotics again, still didn't heal. They opened up the leg again, discovered the infection had gone to the bone, they took a sample and managed to culture it and then put him on different antibiotic that was specific to that bacteria.

Now the interesting thing is that after that antibiotic regiment, he no longer has feline acne. It's has now been a few months since he finished the antibiotics and there is absolutely no sign of it returning.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has had success with treating feline acne - with total resolution, with a different antibiotic than what is normally used?

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well Puffy had acne very bad when we rescued her, and she has been on numerous antibiotic regiments trying to treat her chronic upper respiratory infections, and yes, for a time her acne did clear up.  Poor puffy though, she has a greasy sort of coat... its real thin and she is always itchy from when she had mange and lost all her fur...  I couldn't swear by whether or not any particular antibiotic it was that helped the acne.  She still gets it sometimes though.  Not as bad as it once was by any means.  You could be on to something.