Feeling Guilty for Euthanizing.. Was It Too Soon?

Epolley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All- I just had to part with my 16 year old tabby best friend this past Sunday. She had been battling GI issues (IBD? not confirmed lymphoma but who knows) for the last couple years, but with lots of daily medications and care, we got her to gain a few pounds and not vomit as much and she seemed to be doing so much better than she had in awhile. Last Thursday I noticed she was walking kind of wobbly and from side to side a bit.

I called the vet to make an appt, first available was Monday. I looked online and thought maybe it was a vestibular issue. She was still acting pretty normal other than the unstable walk. It kept progressing to the point she would only walk 6-7 steps and then crouch down and lay down for a bit before continuing on. But she was still going into the next room to get food, water and use the litter box. I left her in her hooded cat bed Friday (she normally sleeps in my bed) for ease overnight but she jumped up onto my bed on and off twice so I thought she was feeling better.

Saturday was a lot of sleeping and not as much walking/activity and Saturday night she went in my guest room and slept on that bed and then all night slept in the guest room closet that she rarely goes into. Up to this point she was drinking water if I put the bowl in front of her and she would eat treats and some of her food when I put it in front of her and using the litter box when I put her in front of it.

But Sunday she took a turn for the worse when she just stayed in her hooded cat bed and wouldn't really eat or drink or move too much. As the day progressed I got more and more concerned so I call the vet and took her in as they have urgent care hours on the weekend. They did bloodwork and found her creatinine >13 (notes actually state 25 in one part) and BUN >130. They let me know she appeared to be in kidney failure and recommended me to a local ER vet for 24/7 fluids for 24 hours or so to see if she improved at all. We went over there, and the ER vet examined her and said she had a heart murmur (urgent care vet notes specifically notate no murmur was present- I didn't see this until after this episode unfortunately), so he wouldn't give her fluids because he said she must have a heart condition and could push her to congestive heart failure. He recommended euthanasia.

I was in complete shock. I was wholly unprepared, even the urgent care vet did not let on it was this serious and made it seem like the fluids would at least let her improve enough for a few days or weeks to make a decision or perhaps this injury would resolve. I was in shock the whole time and pressed for him to do more testing which he did (redid the same blood panel that the urgent care did even though they sent the records) and an ultrasound and then said she didn't have enough blood to do a test that would test for cardiomyopathy or something. So he said she was just too far gone.

My girl was a fighter and I didn't want to have her suffer so even though she is literally part of my heart I did what I thought was best. But now after doing some research and seeing a heart murmur can present in times of severe dehydration or great stress and seeing that the urgent care vet didn't hear a murmur, I feel so guilty that I didn't fight harder for the ER vet to at least try some fluids or try something before I moved forward with letting her go.

It was the hardest thing I've ever done, hardest day of my life, and I feel terribly guilty that I did it too soon without trying or fighting more. Has anyone had a similar situation or similar lab numbers and had their fur baby bounce back? I am so so sad and don't know how this heaviness will ever ease. I know I am not alone with these feelings and reading some of these threads has helped a little, I just feel like it was all so sudden and chaotic and I fear I made the decision too soon :-(

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a couple of cats pass from kidney failure…unfortunately once you reach that stage there is not too much to be done. Please don’t feel guilty and allow all the time you need to grieve and to process…sixteen is pretty good for a cat, though never ever long enough. You acted out of a desire to prevent further suffering for your beloved cat, which -although incredibly difficult- is an act of love. Please take all the time you need to grieve here…we are all listening and with you.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you went through that. I can only say, much better too soon than too late, because too late means more suffering. I don't think it was too soon, if she wasn't eating or drinking, and cats mask their pain so well. It's always a horrible shock, and whatever we decide we feel guilty - but that's better than the guilt of not reacting soon enough and having our darlings die in pain. I think you did the best for her.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*HUGS* I really truly wish I could give you a hug right now.

I said this in another thread and I'm going to say it here as well. I think it's going to end up being a mantra. I just lost my girl July 19. You are not alone. When she was sick and people here, bless their hearts, were trying to help me navigate it all a kind soul said to me that they couldn't guarantee much - but they could guarantee that whatever choices I made I would feel guilty over and question and regret for 15 years. They were absolutely correct. There is not one choice - right down to even having her lump biopsied - that I don't feel guilt and regret over.

So I can't say "Don't feel guilty" without being a complete hypocrite. I think guilt comes with the territory when you love this deeply and you have to allow yourself to go through all of the emotions you need to. Drink water too. Just trust that advice.

You acted out of pure love and compassion. It's a terrible choice to have to make because you love so deeply - and it's never an easy one. Especially when there is often no prep time for acceptance or time to digest what is happening. Although I don't think we're ever truly ready for these losses. My heart bleeds for you.

I have no doubt as well that you are still in shock too. I know my own shock still hasn't worn off yet.

XOXOXO

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guilt and disbelief, always accompany grief. if you would have gone further with her you would have guilt over whether you prolonged her suffering. most cats at that stage do not survive, at 16 I believe you did what was kind and the right thing to do. you couldnt let your precious one suffer. i've had cats pass from this at 14 and even younger, despite intensive care and fluids.
when possible, come back and post a tribute to your little one, you need support and empathy at times like these. we are here for you anytime you need......RIP sweet angel......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Epolley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much. It was so hard because we just had a vet checkup on March and her bloodwork was totally fine and she had gained weight and was doing so well, and even just a few days before her passing she was her lovable old self. Trying not to beat myself up too much but it's so hard, as I know you all know. I just keep asking myself what went so wrong so quick. Your support is really touching. I'll find a good pic of her to post.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentIe, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever!

WhiIe it does not seem Iike it now, I hope you wiII come to understand that a quick, mercifuI death is so often preferabIe to a Iong, Iingering one. EspeciaIIy for an animaI, who has no fear of death, and who Iives in a "forever now." That said, we are never ready to say goodbye. It is aIways "TOO SOON." Where there is Iove, an eternity is not Iong enough. But be patient...in the fuIIness of time, your eternity wiII come.

You have done the bravest, most seIfIess thing that we are ever caIIed on to do...you put the good of the cat you so Ioved above your own heartbreak, and you aIIowed her to go and be free. With you beside her, she passed through the Gate between This Adventure and her Next Great Adventure, and you sent your Iove with her to guide her way. This is the Deepest Truth I know, that love never dies, it is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from her home in That Place Where All Things Are Known,she blesses you, and she sends her Love back to walk beside you down through all of your day. Because Love abides. Always and forever, Love abides.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much. It was so hard because we just had a vet checkup on March and her bloodwork was totally fine and she had gained weight and was doing so well, and even just a few days before her passing she was her lovable old self. Trying not to beat myself up too much but it's so hard, as I know you all know. I just keep asking myself what went so wrong so quick. Your support is really touching. I'll find a good pic of her to post.
What a complete sweetheart…cats are so adept at hiding it all…just wanted to add, of course we all feel guilty, it totally IS a part of the process, but just—well, as you said, try not to beat yourself up about it— you gave so much love to her and it shows. As a friend of mine commented recently: “If only they could speak humanese! They can’t always tell us what they‘re going through.” She knows you tried your hardest and your best—- on a deeper level you two will never be apart. Love does abide.