Feeling Empty

faiz nazim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. So here it goes.

Before this, I've rescued two stray cats, one of them is a kitten and the other is a feral cat with injured tail. And after they both gone for good (given to the rescue center for treatment and adoption), I feels a little bit empty in my house.

I've got two cats in my house, my own lovely kitties. But still, the cage outside that I used for the strays are now empty. I've always passed through the road in my area and see stray cats here and there and quite a number of them are pregnant cats.

Can I just catch em and bring them to my house so that I can feed em etc? Lol. Or is it against the nature. Hurm...

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so proud of you for taking care of the cats, especially for getting them treatment and adoption.  And I know what you mean about feeling empty.  I use to do a lot of trapping cats (and getting them spayed/neutered) and I miss that; so too, I miss feeding the 10 cats in my feral/stray/dumped cat colony.  (I moved away.)

If the cat has never been around humans, then it will be difficult on the cat--and  you--to keep him/her confined in your home.  If you can pet the cat, then, yes, you could probably bring him to your house to feed him and ultimate tame/adopt out.  But will take time and patience.  And be very rewarding emotionally.

Alternatively, you could start feeding the cats in one specific place (some time, same place); the cats you see along the road, will gravitate towards the feeding station.  I don't know how practical this is:  I know you live in Iran(?)?

There is a saying:  if you feed, do not let breed.  So yes you can feed them, but please do also get them neutered/spayed.  Then you won't see so many pregnant cats--and end up feeding their kittens. 

If you can get a pregnant cat into a trap that would be a way to start to learn about how to care for pregnant cats.  There is a lot of information on this site about taking care of pregnant cats.  Takes a lot of time, and sometimes money.

Finally:  make sure your parents are okay with you doing this.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can I just catch em and bring them to my house so that I can feed em etc? Lol. Or is it against the nature. Hurm...
It depends on on what exactly you do mean about "IF against nature". 

The philosophical question, "their fate is their fate, and who am I to change the fate bestowed to them"?

Or do you mean, "they are more or less feral, so if I can really foster them"??

On question 1, I will say: it is by God allowed and recommendable to change nature or someones live to the better. It is not allowed to change for the worse, but for the better? yes. Thus, you may and are recommended to actively change someones bad fate, if you are able to do it, and it feels ok for you, and you want to do it.  A freely given gift, voluntarily given of good heart, is always double worth and blessed.

On question 2. Yes, semiferales can be successfully fostered and adopted.  You dont need to be any magician either for it.  Ferales?  Usually yes, but it is harder and takes longer time.

Real wildcats from the deep forest, are almost impossible to socialize, not as grown ups anyway.

So there IS the big difference between common cats who got ferale even in several generations ago - they can almost always be sooner or later socialized and fostered even as adults.

But the wildcats for the deep forest - can almost never be fully fostered as adults.

I believe the wildcats from deserts, the "Lybica," is somewhere inbetween.

Ritz did gave you an excellent answer, I do second it in every details.

Tx for caring!

Proceed with your questions!

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

faiz nazim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ritz : Thanks, that was a well-replied thread. I'm really grateful to meet someone that have the same feeling as mine. I thought no one could understand. Lol. I felt like a stupid people three days ago when I was chasing a cat about three blocks just to feed it. Hahah. Anyway, thanks a lot and btw, I'm currently studying in Jordan and my parents are in my homeland, Malaysia. So, that should be fine I think, as long as I'm performing in my studies

StefanZ : I was talking about the stray cats in the road and not about the cat's in the wild, I think that was your question. Lol. Your words is too philosophical that makes me a little bit confused
Anyway, just to be clear, I was asking about if it's against the nature because a feral cat supposed to be feral meaning should or shouldn't I feed and take care of them (outside the house in the porch though) because weren't they supposed to be like that. I mean, if I feed them and care for them, would they get nicer and be much more gullible to the outside world later on. That wouldn't be good for them won't they? Because the kids and the people in my area couldn't care less about the cats around here and sometimes, the cats would be kicked and disturbed just for fun. Hurm... 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, I was perhaps too deep, taking in too many aspects.  Among them this with completely wild cats...    WE are of course talking about the homeless cats around us.  The others are just the extra course.    :)

Feeding the hungry is no wrong with it. Best if you also do neuter them (=castrathe).  That is the trick! Often called for TNR. (trapp, neuter, return)  Just giving them food risks they just become more of them and your problem bigger and bigger.

Being friendly to them is always OK. Fostering the homeless outside while still on street?  I would say, if you think you or someone else want to adopt them.

For a homeless cat whom nobody wants to adopt, it is risky to be human friendly. Being shy is a good defence for them against unfriendly people.  As you write, not all people are nice. A friendly homeless cat is a prey for some people.  Some uses their knife on them. Some let them be sparring to their dogs... And so on.

It may be so if you socialize a homeless outside, and leave it outside, the chance is bigger it will be adopted by someone. But also the risk is much bigger some evil person does something horrible.

So dont do it.

If you do socialize a homeless outside, it should be only if you have in plans to adopt it.

Best and safest is to socialize them inside.

Good luck!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that the cats should be castrated/neutered/spayed:  if that is all you do, that in and of itself will make the cats happier and healthier.  Male cats won't go after female cats causing injuries, less fighting among male cats, less yowling at night that may disturb your neighbors.  One reason there are usually more male cats than female cats in the wild is because multiple pregnancies are hard on female cats and they die young.  And intact-whole female cats are at risk for certain cancers.

I understand what Stefan is saying:  cats who trust too much can get into trouble with (in)humans who don't see the value of cats/dogs as pets.  But I'm a 'softy', I don't know that I could not feed a really skinny cat.  By the way:  the cats you see, what is their weight, too skinny, about right?  Are there open garbage cans (we call them dumpsters in the USA)?  I lived in a place where there were lots and lots of dumpsters, and the cats routinely jumped in the dumpsters for food.  If their weight is okay, then I wouldn't be as concerned about feeding them.  Talk nicely with them when you see them:  they won't understand a word you're saying, but will understand your tone (friendly, concerned, nice).

The younger the cat, more chance you have to socialize the cat.  First step in getting a cat to trust you is to feed them.  And some cats are just naturally trusting (and some, no matter how long you feed and care for them, will never let you pet them).  So, if you have the room, feed/socialize a cat inside with plans to adopt out the cat.

PS:  what are you studying in Jordan--any thought of becoming a vet !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faiz nazim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ : that's what I worries about. Hurm...

Ritz : I'm pretty much familiar with all the US terms you got, with all the games in the internet nowadays. Lol
Anyway, yeah, the dumpsters is where most of the cats make their colony I think, and that's where lots of pregnant mummies that I talked about wanting to snatch from
Anyway, I'm studying medic here. Pretty much get stucked with the human, I think. Though, I'm intending to take Pet Animal Care and Animal Health and Behavior as my side course, in my next sem. Just to make sure I have at least all the basics needed for my fluffies