Feeding

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone I feed the stray cats in my area and usually just give them what I think is enough and I feed twice a day but I am wondering what is actually a good amount to feed them?? since i feed twice would half a cup twice a day per cat be a good amount??

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for caring for the feral cats C Charity355

Outdoor cats usually supplement their own diet with whatever they can catch, but they do have a higher calorie requirement than indoor cats because of the amount of energy they use up staying warm and surviving outside.

Are you feeding canned or dry? Do the cats eat while you are there, or do you leave the food for them and come back later?

If they are tame enough to eat while you watch over them half a cup twice a day is probably plenty. If they have to compete with other wildlife they might not be getting enough. With the outdoor ones you can really only judge by their appearance.

Make sure they have access to clean drinking water and, of course, trap spay and neuter any cats you care for. That's really the best way to help them.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tend to error on the side of giving them more rather than less but, as Norachan mentioned, it kind of depends on your situation. Do they eat all while you are there or can you leave some? Are there other animals that might eat it? I feed kitten chow because I live in a colder climate and I figure the extra calories are good. I also do some wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Usually I can stay while they eat but there are different cats that come sometimes and they are too scared but they are in a patio area that I can see from inside. There are a few cats that come every day. The cats are likely the only ones to eat it because of the location and I also live in town so there aren’t many other animals out besides the stray cats. I never thought of giving kitten chow. I wasn’t aware that I could do that! It is starting to get colder here and I know hunting is going to become harder for them I want to make sure that they don’t go hungry.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I would increase the amount of food a bit. Especially since it is getting colder. If you consistently have some left over, then you will know you can decrease it a bit again.