feeding your cat veggies... is it deadly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cough* HE is white dsh, no particular breed that i know of. and he's not deaf, and has yellow eyes he's perty, but i'm biased!
lol well yeah he is your baby, lol i'm biased too. cats that are deaf have usually blue eyes. my cat is half turkish angora and something elts. and she also has yellow eyes, however sometimes they look green. for her breed, its not called yellow, its called amber, but I call it yellow because that is the color it is. lol and her mother was an odd eye turk, one yellow and one blue. she never had any odd eye kittens, i guess becasue dad wasn't a turkish angora.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

Sharky!!!

People who feed their cats veg diets shouldn't be allowed to own cats, IMO.

Feeding them veggies isn't harmful (depending upon what veggie you feed) but feeding them ONLY veggies is. Mine enjoy cucumbers, celery, the occasional bit of carrot. Really, the thing they enjoy most is demanding my food and the satisfaction they get in snubbing me once I've handed it over.
I think the key here is not that vegetables are deadly (with certain exceptions, as always)...but that not feeding meat can be. It's the lack of meat, not the addition or presence of veggies.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Even if testing was done to determine a cat can survive on a vegetarian diet with supplements.....surviving and living healthy are two vastly different things.
I agree, merely surviving and obviously thriving are two totally different ideas to me too. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t eat much meat in my diet, but when it comes to my dogs and cat I specially prepare species appropriate fresh meats for them and feed a meat based diet daily.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an odd-eye white rex (not deaf) and she produced a gold eye white female that WAS deaf. The reason? The father was a bicolor. Found out that sometimes deafness can happen in the bicolor genes. I didn't know that.

BTW a gold eye white will not produce an odd-eye unless its bred to an odd-eye or blue-eyed white

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean, honestly, we're really a pretty rare group here. *Most* people do not have any idea about pet food and are of a trusting nature that if it's advertised that way, it must be true and they buy pet food according to what they're being told is the best thing for them.

In someone's defense (and honestly, I don't get it either, but..)some people just don't stop to think um.. they're obligate carnivores, or... what is meat byproducts...? I never thought about meat byproducts in all the years I fed cheap catfood. It's only been recently that I've been enlightened, lol, no less, by the Bengal who refused all foods.

But truly, people just don't think about it for the most part. I'm sure there are those who think about it and think, well, they may be carnivores but "I"M NOT FEEDING MY CAT MEAT"... and those people really need a boot put ... well, I won't complete that thought.. I do think it's ignorance versus neglect/disregardance for the most part.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the key here is not that vegetables are deadly (with certain exceptions, as always)...but that not feeding meat can be. It's the lack of meat, not the addition or presence of veggies.
On the other hand I think that sort of testing would be cruel and inhumane, because cats are carnivores....period. Take a look at their teeth. They have fangs, top and bottom. Their molars are sharp, designed to rend flesh from bone. They don't have flat molars and front teeth designed for grazing.
yes. that is already proven. The teeth are an obvious sign that they are carnivores, however people still think they can digest veggies, but they can’t. their digestive track is to small, it just goes right through them like plastic would. I catch Chokabo chewing on bags sometimes and I found it in her litter box completely intact, no digesting of the bag at all. And the same goes for veggies there are lots of people here who let their cat eat veggies because the cat likes it, and its not a problem if that’s just a fun treat to make them happy. But it will only run quickly through the digestive track, no vitamins will be absorbed. But your not going to poison them.
But truly, people just don't think about it for the most part. I'm sure there are those who think about it and think, well, they may be carnivores but "I"M NOT FEEDING MY CAT MEAT"... and those people really need a boot put ... well, I won't complete that thought.. I do think it's ignorance versus neglect/disregardance for the most part.
yes I agree
I think it really is ignorance, because we talk about how wonderful veggies are for us, they save our lives, they work like a dream, so they think, they are so good for us they gotta be good for cats too. And people spend lots of time creating vegan diets to try and make that happen. They think they are so smart, but to me that is ignorance.