Feeding Wet And Dry Cat Food

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my kitten turns one I want to switch her to Dr. Ensleys clean protein dry food and one meal of w dr. Ensleys wet food. Right now she is on just dry kitten food(whole Earth). How do I determine how much dry food to feed her if I give her one meal of wet food. She also gets small portions of canned chicken when I do clicker training daily. Will she automatically get diarrhea from adding wet food?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May I ask why you want to switch to dry food? Dry food is ok for snacking or for when left alone all day. But wet food is really what a cat should be on. Dry tends to have too many carbs and fillers - even if they claim not too - and can cause urinary issues.
The worst wet food is better than the best dry.

I'm not one of those 'never, ever feed dry' people. I have one cat who refuses to eat wet, no matter how good it is. And I worry about her health and weight. However, if I could switch to an all wet diet, I would.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would start adding a meal of wet food now. If you wait until she's an adult, she may be set in her ways and refuse to eat wet at all.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Barley is very picky on wet food, but when it comes to dry he comes running in a heartbeat. I guess it was his sole diet during when he was with his first owner, and is not used to wet.

My cats are mainly wet food diet, but I also leave just a small bowl of dry for them to eat during the day while I am at work. I also leave wet food for them, small portions each bowl. When I come home, all wet food bowls are usually empty, but the dry food bowl is barely touched. I am guessing only Barley is interested in it.

As recommended above, it is best that your cat sticks to wet food as her main diet, and leave out small amount of dry food only if you will be gone for the day. Wet cat food is always a better choice than dry for so many health reasons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks on for the responses. She is actually on all dry kitten food right now but wanted to switch her to a better dry adult food when she is one and add a meal of wet as well because I had heard it was better. I think I will add a meal of wet now as suggested to get her used to it. How do I determine how much dry food and one meal of wet to give her when she is officially an adult? I don't want her to get overweight.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man did I misread that. At midnight, my eyes turn on me. I read it as, she is currently on wet and you want to switch, not the other way around.
My apologies.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The best place to start in terms of how much to feed is using the guidelines listed on the wet/dry food cans/bags. But, I think you are looking for a bit more specificity and guidance - so, here are a couple of articles that address specifics and related considerations in determining how much to feed your kitten/cat.

Correct Amounts of Food for Adult Cats & Kittens

How Much Should I Feed My Cat? | petMD

Hope they help some!!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Figure out the calories your cat needs a day, then figure out how much you'll be feeding wet a day. So if you will be doing half a 5.5 oz can, take those calories and determine how much dry food will be needed to round it out. :)