Feeding Times?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've typically fed my 10 year DSH tortie, Ally, her dry food twice per day (first thing in the morning and then again later at night) as well as replacing/adding fresh water as needed throughout the day with completely new first thing in the morning.

This kitty also has issues with chronic constipation (Her new vet says Megacolon, but luckily, we've been mostly able to control it with Lactulose adjustments as needed) - and today she went in after going about a week with no stools (TMI, sorry). She got two enemas, which led some good stools, so hopefully we've nipped things in the butt in that aspect.

We've also decided to start her on wet food, which is where my question comes in:

I'm trying to give her the wet food slowly, as she used to devour it so quickly that she'd make herself sick.

Is it alright to continue splitting up her daily can of wet food into several smaller meals throughout the day? Is it healthy for a cat to just have the one can of wet food per day?

Like I said, I'm new to the world of wet food (my Mom tended to our previous cat, as I was too young for that responsibility) - so any guidance is appreciated.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't put down more than about 2 tablespoons of wet at a time. I just keep putting down parts of the can throughout the day.
The boys eat raw and get up to 1.5 oz at a time, five times through the day.
It's really a matter of what works for your schedule and what your cat's needs are, or if you're comfortable using a timed feeder.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
You can split it to smaller meals through out the day, especially if she does eat too fast and vomits. 3 smaller meals a day will work

What size can? I feed 5.5 oz can a day (half in the morning, half in the evening) for my cats and its plenty for them, mainly because I am not home in the afternoons to give them another meal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They're 5.5 oz cans (Not sure if we'll stick with this kind or go to the packets of wet food that we used with the previous cat).

As far as her tolerating food now, I'm not sure - I made the mistake of leaving the plate in her playpen (being corralled after the enemas earlier to prevent mess) and came back about 20-30 minutes later to her having been sick on the plate of food. That could either be from her eating too fast or from remnants of the anesthesia, not really sure.

I like your plan, lalagimp lalagimp - I think smaller, more frequent, feedings would probably work best for her once everything calms down and she gets back on a regular schedule.

We will have to see this weekend goes and consult with the vet again on monday when they call for followup.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1 5.5oz can per day has worked out well for my 10 year old DSH. It will depend on what brand you are feeding though as some brands have more calories per can than others. My cat needs to lose a little weight so she gets around 180 calories per day. Some cats need more.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All wet food will most likely be very good for her. I would check the calorie count on what you are feeding. There can be a big difference in calories between brands. Big difference in some of the foods i feed. Some brands 5oz a day would be fine, other brands they would definitely need more.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't get into several small meals a day. That's inconvenient for you probably and it would confuse a cat who is used to getting fed twice a day.
More important, if your cat has megacolon, think about getting a high fiber food from your vet or prescription for Royal Canin gastrointestinal food which I believe also comes in dry. I currently have my cat on the Royal Canin hairball formula dry and she goes every day now. Plus she gets half a can of Fancy Feast a day. She doesn't always eat it but she has never liked canned food.
I had a cat with mega colon years ago and there weren't a lot of high quality options on the market like there are now. If you don't get more fiber into your cat the stool is going to back up again. I am sure your vet explained to you what mega colon is. My cat had to have regular enemas at home that I gave her. Fortunately for me, she was very compliant and let me do this. I did it for several years. I also had her on laxative medications but after awhile they stop working.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've had her on lactulose and up until the last week or so, there had been no issues getting it onto her dry food (We had been doing it on her treats, but she developed an allergy to them or something and had began throwing up within 15 minutes of eating them).

Her new vet did come straight out and say that she had megacolon and suggested just upping her lactulose and adding some mineral oil if she went 24 hours without a BM.

I'm not sure it matters now anyway - she is completely refusing to eat at this point, with the exception being a few of her Temptations treats, and a cat cannot survive off of a few treats every day with nothing else.