Feeding Stray Cat

FurmiliarCattitude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other night my friend and neighbor lost their dog (found now) but before it was found I put a little bit of my cat’s food out to try to lure him out to my yard and they did the same with his food. Well, the food was gone but it was not eaten by the dog. I wasn’t sure what had eaten it and was curious so I put some more food out tonight and waited and about an hour after I put the food down I peeked out and saw a black cat eating it. My main thing is now that I know it’s a kitty and not a raccoon or possum or some pest I was wondering if it is okay to keep feeding it. I would normally continue to help it any way I can but the issue is I am moving at the end of July and I was wondering if feeding it would get it in a routine and cause it to become too dependent on being fed and therefore be more damaging in the long run (in the event that I am unable to trap it which might be an issue) since I am moving.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I peeked out and saw a black cat eating it. My main thing is now that I know it’s a kitty and not a raccoon or possum or some pest I was wondering if it is okay to keep feeding it.
If this is the first time you see this cat eating at your yard and you've not been feeding it or any other cats, it is highly possible that this cat is a wanderer moving around looking for food.

So it seems that the cat is having its food from elsewhere and maybe all over the area.

You may want to track it and see where it goes or see if anyone has been feeding it or maybe it belongs to someone's outdoor cat or it has been hunting small animals lie mouse to eat.

Try not leaving food out the next few days and see if the cat loiters around your yard or not. If it comes and find no food, it may leave and visit it's regular hunting ground.

So I think if this is a street smart cat, you don't have to worry but just stop feeding the cat so that you don't have to worry about leaving it behind or if it has no food to eat when you move.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. Observe the cat and see if it is well fed, not skinny and despeerately needing food. If it is, consider trapping it and taking it to a no kill shelter. It has not established a routine yet, so it should move on. It may be a neighborhood cat visiting, I feed several of those with my ferals.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to the above, you could try reaching out to the neighbors and asking them if the cat belongs to them. It could be a neighbor's cat who is allowed to wander all day and/or night long. Just tell them the story you told us so they know why you fed it and don't get upset by it. At least that way you will know whether or not it belongs to someone, or if others are also feeding it.

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted about feeding neighborhood ferals here, and was advised to start feeding them only if I could do it consistently and on a schedule - the cats come to depend on you and expect food at a certain time every day. Could you take to your neighbors and see if any of them are interested in continuing to feed him when you move?

I think they do keep coming by if you feed them - this is how I ended up with my cat. Left a little pile of treats outside my door once, then she kept coming back demanding food. And now...she lives with me, lol.