Feeding Shrimp Based Cat Food.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi friend!!
I know I read that feeding fish based foods to cats on a regular basis is not a good idea but what about shrimp? My cats like the nutro minced chicken and shrimp cat food? Is shrimp ok more often or pretty much the same issue with shrimp as with fish? Thank you for all your help. Milo and Buttercup thank you too.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything specific about shrimp, but I was using Life's Abundance Instinctive Choice wet food, which is mostly chicken but shrimp is the 6th ingredient. All three cats loved it, and it was highly recommended by Dr Jane Hofve's book () which is where I learned a lot about proper cat diet. She said she would recommend the Life's Abundance even though it had shrimp in it because it was high quality and tasty for the cats.

The only caveat is that one of our cat's did not digest the food well (diarrhea) and we wonder if he has a shrimp allergy or if it was something else so we stopped feeding it to him.

Based on the Nutro food you mentioned, the ingredients look very high quality to me. If I was looking to feed it, I wouldn't have much of an issue with the shrimp since it's not the main ingredient (obviously not for the cat that may have an intolerance. ;)). This is coming from my own feelings, and no intimate science or knowledge about shrimp specifically.

On her website (Instinctive Choice Cat Food | Little Big Cat), Dr. Hofve explains why she likes the food and responded in comments about the added shrimp:
"Yes…almost all cat foods contain some fish or seafood, often as a flavoring or source of particular nutrients such as Omega-3 fatty acids. So it’s difficult to avoid all seafood. What I recommend avoiding is foods that are *primarily* fish. That’s where you’ll run into problems. Most cats tolerate small amounts of seafood just fine. Even fish-allergic cats are unlikely to cross-react with shrimp (and other crustaceans or shellfish)." Hope this helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything specific about shrimp, but I was using Life's Abundance Instinctive Choice wet food, which is mostly chicken but shrimp is the 6th ingredient. All three cats loved it, and it was highly recommended by Dr Jane Hofve's book () which is where I learned a lot about proper cat diet. She said she would recommend the Life's Abundance even though it had shrimp in it because it was high quality and tasty for the cats.

The only caveat is that one of our cat's did not digest the food well (diarrhea) and we wonder if he has a shrimp allergy or if it was something else so we stopped feeding it to him.

Based on the Nutro food you mentioned, the ingredients look very high quality to me. If I was looking to feed it, I wouldn't have much of an issue with the shrimp since it's not the main ingredient (obviously not for the cat that may have an intolerance. ;)). This is coming from my own feelings, and no intimate science or knowledge about shrimp specifically.

On her website (Instinctive Choice Cat Food | Little Big Cat), Dr. Hofve explains why she likes the food and responded in comments about the added shrimp:
"Yes…almost all cat foods contain some fish or seafood, often as a flavoring or source of particular nutrients such as Omega-3 fatty acids. So it’s difficult to avoid all seafood. What I recommend avoiding is foods that are *primarily* fish. That’s where you’ll run into problems. Most cats tolerate small amounts of seafood just fine. Even fish-allergic cats are unlikely to cross-react with shrimp (and other crustaceans or shellfish)." Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for all that information I really appreciate it. That's kind of what I was thinking too. I would not feed this food exclusively. It would be in a rotation with other brands I feed.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed that one in rotation too. I am betting there is not that much shrimp, Enough for flavor :)
That’s good to know. I think I’ll include that in my rotation since both cats like and I like the ingredients. Any idea on the carbohydrate level on that one. Looks really low to me but I could be wrong.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cat food data base says 6% DMB. She is usually close. I have only found a problem with hers if the ash content is not listed, then she seems to calculate carbs a bit high. such as with american journey wet foods. I use two places to look.

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

and if i cant find it on any list i use the online calculator. you just need to watch as some places show carbs on dmb other places show it as % of the total calories. That can get confusing. As i don't have a diabetic cat, where you may need to be more exact, i usually use the dmb ratings, and try to keep it under 10% dmb, its much easier, and close enough. And i like my % calories of protein to be higher than fat. the nutro scores well on all of those points. High protein, moderate fat, low carbs

Cat Food Nutrition Calculator | Elizabeth C Scheyder

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much guys. I feel better about feeding this one. I’m always on a look out for more variety.