Feeding raw...questions!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by distillednikki

I feed my cat raw Tilapia sometimes....just a little bit though. Is this healthy?
In the USA the idea is NO RAW fish due to parasites ... In some other countrys it is okay

MonaxLisa I will talk to a vet out of Spokane and see if there is anyone in your area

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought fish for myself the other day, from the grocery store so it ought to be at least sort of fresh. So Im slicing it up and I look down and there is a worm in it! So personally, I wouldnt feed raw fish.
MonaxLisa I will talk to a vet out of Spokane and see if there is anyone in your area
Thanks! I would almost bet money that there isnt one in my area but Ill keep my fingers crossed

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright, here is the recipe Im thinking of trying. Any helpful input would be great!

One whole chicken (about 5lbs..skin included?) Meat chunked or coarse ground, bones ground fine.
Included organs (about 6-8 ounces worth per 5lbs)
1/2 - 3/4 cup veg, like broccoli, spinach?, or tinned pumpkin?
3 egg yolks, maybe cooked whites
3500 - 4000 MG Taurine
Vit E (One little capsule added at serving time)
150 - 200 MG B complex (1-2 capsules per chicken)
appropirate dose of Nzymes
Water/Broth

Alright, let me have it

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will hopefully talk with the vet this wed .... I will ask the main one on Monday... PM me a slightly better location of you

It looks good You might need a general vitamin to cover bases

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any news? I was thinking of adding some different veggies (carrots etc) but I dont think it would be enough for kitty to get enough vitamins from it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Any news? I was thinking of adding some different veggies (carrots etc) but I dont think it would be enough for kitty to get enough vitamins from it.
Sorry ... no news since appt was moved off weds.... the joy of two vets

carrots add in beta carotene ( unfortuanatley cats dont synthisis it ) , c and some of antioxidents...

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I really want to get my little fellow started on raw so I was looking through that Natural Cat book (I have a 1990 edition) and I didnt like her recipe (20% veg and 20% grain?!!) and also her recipe didnt mention anything about bones (which would be just great) or organ meat...or Taurine. It just said ground chicken or whatever. But she did mention a Vita-Mineral Mix, anyone ever tried this? Also, anyone ever tried grinding bones with a hand grinder? Im not sure I even want to try. Anyhow, I really need to get these vitamins figured out so I can get this started, Im thinking I might just use chicken thighs to start with, once I get the hang of things I can progress to whole chickens. Oh, I was also wondering about variety, Im not sure I can get much more then chicken (no rabbits or anything) will a chicken diet be a problem, do I need to find something else to mix in once or twice a week? It'd be just swell if there was a set recipe to follow, its so confusing!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PM me I will send some BASIC raw recipes and a few web sites:_)