feeding question

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

read the can label... my vets once told me for a wet only one ounce per lb of kitty ... 6 ounces for a 6lb cat .... I recently found a label that stated to give like 2-4 ounces wet if dry was avail for ave 8-10 kitty
I'm not sure I'd agree with this Sharky - if this is so then I should be feeding Bijou 1 lb. of food per day - not likely to happen.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that an average sized cat (8-10pounds) will eat 1 can per day.

I have a 15 pound cat who gets 2/3 of can a day with dry available. My 7.5 cat gets 1/2 a can of wet per day with dry available.

My 11.5 pound cat gets 1 1/3 cans as he eats only wet and won't touch the dry.

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have an 8 lb kitty, and I'm not sure whta Gizmo weighs...she was 19 lb last year but I know she's lost some weight since then (thank goodness) but I haven't gotten her to the vet to be weighed since then. Anyways, they share a 5.5 oz can of Nutro in the morning, and share a 3 oz pouch of Nutro in the evening. I put out about 1 cup of Nutro dry for them to eat if they are still hungry, and that lasts about 2 days. It sounds like such a small amount of food, but Sasha has gotten down to what my vet considers "perfect" on her weight, and Gizmo actually has a waist now, where she used to be pear-shaped. They have soft shiny hair, don't shed much, and don't fill the litter box with big stinky poo.
All cats are different though. Use the guide on the bag or can as a starting place, and go from there to find what works best for your cats. It takes my girls a good half hour to 45 mins to finish thier wet food in the morning, and I don't think they'd really eat any more than that. They clean the pouch up in about 5 minutes in the evening and want more, but I tell them to eat the dry (which they will). I'm thinking about switching thier big meal to evening and just give them the 3 oz pouch in the morning, since they seem more hungry in the evening than in the morning.

Amber