Feeding only two types of foods

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Enzo has IBD and he used to eat a ton of seafood. Now that his options are limited (no more seafood) I have found that he only really eats two brands/types of food. Halo lamb stew and merrick limited ingredient turkey. The thing is, I keep looking for other varieties of lamb/turkey/duck because I feel bad limiting him to two food choices. He mostly turns his nose at the new stuff I try to give him. I liken it to humans only eating the same thing every day for the rest of our lives. We'd be bored! Do you think I'll run into the same problem with Enzo?

Last edited:

floofnugget

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Granted, I've only had Tempura for a short time, but she has very specific wet food tastes. It has to be poultry, and a pretty fine pate. She actually eats the same thing every day and doesn't seem sick of it at all. I imagine cats, as creatures of habit, don't mind it as much as people. There are plenty of cats out there who probably eat the same dry food every day. I think the two is enough variety and you can certainly try to experiment once in a while, but it might be a waste if you try too hard to find other foods. I spent a lot of time and money trying different cans for Tempura, haha. But she really only really liked 2 variants of chicken and/or turkey pate. Right now she gets Natural Balance chicken and liver every evening with Orijen dry in the morning. She seems to like the routine so I've given up trying to force variety.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Granted, I've only had Tempura for a short time, but she has very specific wet food tastes. It has to be poultry, and a pretty fine pate. She actually eats the same thing every day and doesn't seem sick of it at all. I imagine cats, as creatures of habit, don't mind it as much as people. There are plenty of cats out there who probably eat the same dry food every day. I think the two is enough variety and you can certainly try to experiment once in a while, but it might be a waste if you try too hard to find other foods. I spent a lot of time and money trying different cans for Tempura, haha. But she really only really liked 2 variants of chicken and/or turkey pate. Right now she gets Natural Balance chicken and liver every evening with Orijen dry in the morning. She seems to like the routine so I've given up trying to force variety.
This has made me feel immensely better! You bring up a great point about cats being creatures of habit. I'll remind myself of that the next time I feel bad! Thank you!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I find my cat likes stuff with liver, FF Classic chicken and liver, tiki cat Gourmet Carnivore liver and chicken, Iams purrfect Delicasies turkey and liver, mine also like chicken, duck and rabbit. Mine were both former ferals, so they eat flavors they are familiar with, if they had mouse or chipmunk, they would eat that! They do not care much for beef or fish! I try to mix it up in case of recall or boredom!

Last edited: