Feeding Guidelines for kittens and an adult cat

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol I definitely have a hard time leaving. I want to be spend most of my time with them. They are so loving and they spend the majority of their time purring. Quinn is actually more loving than Harley. He loves to sleep on my bed. Harley only likes to during the day but at night she finds her own spot to sleep at. At first Harley was being a little aggressive towards Quinn but now they groom each other and play together all the time. I have kittens running across my face literally while I'm sleeping at night lol I feel bad because my abrupt change has Quinn having issues but it's my first time really owning cats and I'm learning as I go. But I'm definitely going to take my time now. I didn't mean to upset his stomach. I fed them wet food twice today and then wet food mixed with some dry as the evening meal so hopefully that helps.
There should be such a thing as a kitten care leave at work/school like maternity leave 
 So anyone can spend lots of time with there furbabys and not miss any cuteness :)

I wake up from my cat doing circles around my head, giving me kitty-kisses and dropping toys on my face :)

Don't feel too bad about it, we all make mistakes. I couldn't figure out for a while that my kitty has fish intolerance but now I know better.

kas913

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a great thread!  This gave me lots of info about my own kittens.  They are turning 8 weeks old tomorrow and I wasn't sure if I was feeding them enough or not.  One of my kittens is a bit slow food wise.  She had to be bottle fed and although she is doing great, she seems to be a bit behind her sister developmentally.  We didn't realize until she was almost 3 weeks old that she wasn't getting anywhere near enough food from mom and wasn't gaining anywhere near enough weight!  It was a good lesson learned!  We didn't know you were supposed to keep track of kittens weights!  I'm currently mixing canned food with some KMR because my little one seems to struggle with just the canned food by itself.  Then since I work all day, I do leave dry food out, as well as a small bowl of dry food that I've put some water on to make it soft.

My question is how much weight should a kitten be gaining at this age?  I just want to make sure that they are both staying on track!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anapaula0324

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a great thread!  This gave me lots of info about my own kittens.  They are turning 8 weeks old tomorrow and I wasn't sure if I was feeding them enough or not.  One of my kittens is a bit slow food wise.  She had to be bottle fed and although she is doing great, she seems to be a bit behind her sister developmentally.  We didn't realize until she was almost 3 weeks old that she wasn't getting anywhere near enough food from mom and wasn't gaining anywhere near enough weight!  It was a good lesson learned!  We didn't know you were supposed to keep track of kittens weights!  I'm currently mixing canned food with some KMR because my little one seems to struggle with just the canned food by itself.  Then since I work all day, I do leave dry food out, as well as a small bowl of dry food that I've put some water on to make it soft.

My question is how much weight should a kitten be gaining at this age?  I just want to make sure that they are both staying on track!!!
I'm not sure do the weight gain at this stage. I just feed my kittens as much food as they want to eat as per zoop zoop and kirathecat kirathecat instructions. They might know more about the weight gain you should be looking for. I haven't managed to get my hands on a scale for my cats but I also wasn't very knowledgeable about how much kittens should eat until I received all this great info. I could see the Elsa was still hungry at times but I felt like I was feeding her enough and she was being a glutton lol obviously I was wrong. The point is your kittens will probably show you that they are still hungry. Mines meow and now know when I'm usually about to feed them. Sareena my older cat is the only reserved one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anapaula0324

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kas913 kas913 also surf through the threads. You might find this info. I'm pretty sure someone must have brought this up. And it's a good way to learn a lot of different things. It's what I usually do in my spare time. It's always good to to be prepared in case of anything.

zoop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I think the general rule is 1 pound per month up to 3 months but it varies but breed and other factors.