Feeding Exercises

Jayskalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So things have been progressing fabulously with introducing Gouda (10F) and Pistachio (6 mo.F) since we got Pistachio 1.5 months ago. We are keeping the doors open in our apartment most of the time, the cats have slept on the bed together during the day, and while they aren't cuddling and we still have some hisses and swats here and there, they are generally coexisting!

We were working a lot with the play time leading into scheduled meal time. This was super helpful in the beginning. Pistachio is super food motivated, whereas Gouda has never been food driven. We're now feeding them 1.5 feet apart with zero barriers in the morning and at night, and its going well on top of everything else! We've now reached the point though where Pistachio is dying to eat Gouda's food. She wants everything but what is in her own bowl. We rotate between four different kitten foods just to switch it up and have found the ones that she enjoys most, but she still wants to eat anything but her own food as of a few days ago. Naturally this has made it much more difficult to have them eating together since Pistachio starts crowding Gouda's space and trying to eat out of her bowl, making Gouda walk away from meal time.

I guess my real question here boils down to - do you think feeding them separately (at least in the morning) will cause backtracking or hinder the progress we've made over the last 1.5 months?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Sounds like everything is going well! We just went through a similar situation. We introduced a 14 year old female, Mowie, to our resident cat, 13 year old Ozzy. We've been feeding them separately for almost six months. Ozzy kept wanting to get into Mowie's food--I think he wanted to prove to her that everything in the house belonged to him!

But one day recently, Mowie decided she didn't feel like walking all the way to the kitchen from the laundry room for her food :lol: and started eating out of Ozzy's bowl. I decided to try feeding them together and suddenly Ozzy wasn't so interested in eating out of her bowl. :dunno:

IMG_2173.JPG

I'd say keep doing what you're doing, sounds like they're progressing really well so far and it may just take a bit longer until they're able to share eating space. I love their names, by the way, so cute. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does Gouda go to Pistachio's dish? Or does she just give up and leave? If the first, we're fine. If the second, you may have to feed separately. It really shouldn't set things back, so long as they have plenty of opportunity to interact in other areas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jayskalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does Gouda go to Pistachio's dish? Or does she just give up and leave? If the first, we're fine. If the second, you may have to feed separately. It really shouldn't set things back, so long as they have plenty of opportunity to interact in other areas.
Its the second unfortunately! Gouda is pretty high anxiety in the morning (I'm the second home she's had. She's been that way since I adopted her) - so since Pistachio started rushing towards her food she has been hesitant to eat near her in the morning. Evening feedings are absolutely fine, but the AM has been difficult.

Luckily they seem to be doing the rest of the day though so fingers crossed it stays that way!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, if worse comes to worse, you can always let Pistachio cool her heels in another room until Gouda eats, OR feed Gouda in another room, at least in the mornings!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it's fine too. Magnus is like your Gouda and will just walk away and not eat if crowded. Now I feed him on the deep freeze and put the other two on the floor.

I've never included regular wet meals as part of intros and it's always been fine..so I'm sure separate mornings are okay. Pistachio might just be too excited in the AM