Feeding dry food that is close to "Best By" date

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I recently ordered two bags of TikiCat Born Carnivore dry catfood for my two precious furbabies from my usual online retailer. They arrived this week and I was shocked when I checked the Best By date on each of the bags - both are only two months away from their suggested Best By date, which is June 9 2020. Last month, I ordered the same food and it was a lot fresher, with a Best By date of May 2021. Even though that fresher bag still has a lot of food left, this evening I opened one of the bags I just received and the food smelled and looked ok. I gave some to one of my cats and she ate it right up, seeming to really be enjoying it. My question is - am I being overly paranoid about feeding my cats these bags of food, even if they don't finish them before June 9? Has anyone else ever fed a dry food that was close to its best by date or even fed it past that date?
Thanks in advance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has anyone else ever fed a dry food that was close to its best by date or even fed it past that date?
Hi! I don't know, honestly - I've never been very careful about checking the date. I typically go by its odor to my own nose or whether Poppycat becomes reluctant to eat it.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stores can't sell food that has gone past the best by date, but most rescues usually take donations of food that are 6 months past their best by date. You can contact Tiki Cat directly, but manufacturers usually say their food is safe 6 months past the best by date. I think it will be fine, as long as you keep opened bags in dry, air-tight containers.

Stores and warehouses are supposed to rotate their stock and sell the oldest food first, but mistakes do happen.