feeding baby food?

hunter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my kitten is barely eating because of illness, i tried baby food mixed with nutro pouched chicken sauce and he seems to like it, how often can i feed this until he gets back to his normal eating?, i also giving him nutri-cal mixed with probiotics.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With my kideney girl baby food is on the menu mixed with something two to three times a week... as for the pouchit is "complete and balanced nutrion" so that alone would be fine.. but I like the mix with the nutrical

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be honest, when Patrick is just coming off a bad time, I'll give him as much as 2 jars or 4 oz. of baby food per day along with what he's eating on his own. Adding in the nutrical will help keep this more balanced..right now, I'm glad to hear you've got something your baby will eat. I'm sorry he's still not feeling well

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From experience of my previous cat having FeLV I was feeding him jars of baby food, at the end, but was told to watch for the jars with onions in it, since it is bad for cats in general.

Also, may I suggest having him drink, or by using an eyedropper giving him, PediaLyte. It keeps the body hydrated longer. The same as you would give a child.

What is his illness, if you don't mind me asking?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hunter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, after $1100 of procedure the vet can't pinpoint the cause of the fever except it's an infection, the vet tested for FeLV/FIV/FIP/X-RAY/TWO TYPES OF FECAL and everything came back negative, he was at the hospital for 3 days and did well with IV FLUID and came home yesterday and fine for an hour and acted lethargic again until now, he doesn't take anymore food on his own, so my other question, is it ok to force feed at least a small can of wet food?, maybe two in one day plus the nutri-cal, the medicine is probably making him not wanting to eat, i add probiotics though with nutri-cal, i hope he gets better soon, besides i'm calling the vet again tomorrow and let her know what's going on.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't see why not (though as you know I'm not a vet or vet tech). Easiest if he'll let you, is a ground texture canned, roll tiny pea sized balls, pop into side of mouth, so he has to chew versus trying to just swallow it and possibly choking.

I am so so sorry you don't have an answer yet, and I really hope he begins to pull around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hunter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sounds good, i'll get some quality can food, i hope he comes around soon, i feel so bad for him.

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm also having problems with one of my cats refusing to eat. She's lost over a pound in 2.5 weeks. My vet said to syringe feed Princess baby food. I was told not to force feed anything that she would normally eat because once a cat if force fed they will usually refuse to eat that again. I was told that if I do use baby food to only use Beechnet brand because the other contain garlic and onion and those can be fatal. I was also told right now it doesn't matter what she will eat right now as long as she's eating something. Once she's eating again then we will work on getting her to eat what we want her to eat.

One other thing that might help get your kitty to eat canned food is to warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds. It makes it more appealing. Princess is anorexic so I go through the not eating thing anytime anything is even remotly wrong so I know lots of tricks to get her to eat and that usually works pretty well.

I hope he feels better and starts eating really soon!!!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazy4cats28

I'm also having problems with one of my cats refusing to eat. She's lost over a pound in 2.5 weeks. My vet said to syringe feed Princess baby food. I was told not to force feed anything that she would normally eat because once a cat if force fed they will usually refuse to eat that again. I was told that if I do use baby food to only use Beechnet brand because the other contain garlic and onion and those can be fatal. I was also told right now it doesn't matter what she will eat right now as long as she's eating something. Once she's eating again then we will work on getting her to eat what we want her to eat.
Hi Stacey, Gerber Second Stage meats are also free of onion and can be used - I've been using them for years with my crf kitty Patrick. I've never experienced this refusal to eat something assist fed - Patrick has had spells over the past 3 years, where he would not eat and had to be assist-fed - once he went back to eating, he'd eat the same canned foods I'd been assist-feeding him...so I have to disagree with whoever told you the above!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many organic baby foods have no onion and garlic...

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both Dushka and Persil have been force-fed/syringe fed at different times with milk, egg yolk or cat food soup, and it has never stopped them eating the same things later. All my cats still love goats milk and I occasionally beat up an egg yolk into it - it keeps their coats shiny, I think!