Feeding and litter training

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's clearly in heat, and can be spayed at the end of this heat cycle. Find a vet who will do it now. A heat cycle usually lasts about a week, but you're right, she'll have another cycle very soon otherwise. Please do not let her out in the meantime. She's miserable, by the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice, the vet wanted us to wait another three weeks but I might see if they'll do it sooner. We'll be keeping her in til the kitten we're keeping is at least spayed too.

The first kitten gets rehomed tomorrow with my dad who came to see them 2 weeks ago. They are going to spend a few hours here before the 1.5 hour drive home. I've just been reading @JaNayNo's thread about this too - should we let poppy see them put him in the cage and then put him in the car through the window?

Also do you have any tips for the 1.5 hour car journey they have to do with him?

Still no home for the other kitty but I'm sure we'll find one!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, let her see the kitten go into the carrier and out the door, but no need to let her outside to see it go into the car.

The kitten will probably cry on the way home. You could give your dad a blanket and a toy for the carrier that has your and/or mom cat's scent on it for comfort. (It can be washed and returned down the road if you want it back.) It may help with the first few days as well.

Otherwise, a small meal before leaving may help the kitten sleep, but there's always the chance of car sickness.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They left two blankets here and I have one or two they can take as well. We'll be sure to give him lunch an hour before they go, they don't tend to eat much at lunch time anyway so it could work well!

I know he'll soon love his new home but it's so sad to have to separate them at this age, plus we'll miss them lots - we were able to hold out til 10 weeks :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since it's your dad, holding out 2 more weeks would be even better for learning manners from mom, but tomorrow is okay, and you'll get regular reports I'm sure :).

It is sad, and hard, but she'll still have 2 kittens left and he's going to a good home. Make sure mom and kittens have put their scent on the blankets your dad takes. He shouldn't wash them for a couple of weeks. The baby can come back and visit once in awhile :).

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would have liked to have waited a little longer too but all things considered now is best. They do christmas in a big way and need time for him to settle in before hand. I hoping to go visit him n a few weeks too!

It's crazy to think some kittens get rehomed before 8 weeks (unnecessarily, of course I understand sometimes it's unavoidable). I wouldn't have dreamt of rehoming them that early!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let us know how it goes today with the little guy leaving :).

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It went well actually! They spent a few hours here which worked well I think, when we got the cat box out he got in it himself (he did that when we took him to the vets). It was emotional saying bye, we were mostly worried about him being lonely or scared and for Poppy's reaction.

Apparently he travelled ok, ventured out of the box when they got him back and spent quite some time exploring, then fell asleep in the box they made him :) we're so relieved!

Poppy saw him go, she wasn't distressed at all, she's the worlds most laid back cat! she had a quick look round the house after they left but her and the other two kittens are normal so far!

All in all pretty successful! I think he was the best one to be rehomed first, fingers crossed the next one goes this well when we find him a home.

Thanks for the support as always!

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, a quick update and a question, we've ended up keeping two kittens instead of one (along with mum Poppy of course).

We couldn't get poppy in to be spayed before Christmas but have managed to get her in tomorrow as they had a cancellation. The two kittens are booked in for next Friday.

They are 4 months old now and we are wondering if we should get the little boy done tomorrow instead of Poppy. He keeps showing an interest in the little girl and we've stopped him twice this week as he looked like he was trying to mount her.

What do people think? I've read online male cats reach puberty later than females so there is unlikely to be a risk, but if there is even a remote chance I'd rather not chance it...

Any thoughts very much welcomed as always!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will still be able to impregnate her for a few days-weeks after the surgery anyway. It takes a bit for the pipes to be totally cleared out... That said, I think it probably is wise to stop this behavior as soon as possible.

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are the chances of him (and the little girl) even being fertile yet though? They turned 4 months 2 days ago.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would go ahead and get your male kitten neutered tomorrow, and take Poppy and the female kitten next Friday.

Female kittens can be fertile as young as 4 months old, and we know Poppy is already fertile. It's a myth that male kittens develop later. They begin to demonstrate sexual behavior as young as females, as you have witnessed. There is no reason to take a chance since you have an appointment and can take him in instead.

I am an advocate of early neutering anyway, because it usually prevents males from developing testosterone-driven behavior, which can result in spraying and other unacceptable sexually-driven behaviors such as humping, which, once developed, can continue for life.

Then, keep an eye on them since it does take a couple of weeks for sperm production to get out of the system. The fact that the male kitten has "tried" to get to his sister tells me his hormones are coming in already!

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited: