Feeding an older cat wet food along with younger ones

bengal2223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, taffy, is about 12yrs old. Along with her we have another one at 4 yrs, one at 2 yrs and a bengal at 7 months. I'm wanting to start feeding her wet food for a little more water intake. I don't want to hear any wet/dry debates please :) My 12 yr old as never had any health issues whatsoever with dry alone. Have not brought her to the vet for anything. I want to keep it that way and I know adding wet will help with UTI.

Therefore, an issue I have at the moment is i don't catch her eating. She eats for sure as I see her more active than the other cats, but she waits till they are gone before eating.

I'm not sure how to go about feeding her wet food without the other cats, especially the Bengal eating all the food before she gets a chance to eat. I know I can't just place her in front of it cause she eats at her own time. She tends to get picked on a lot by the other cats since she's so small :/

I've thought about having her in the room with me at night to eat but I know we will have our bengal constantly crying to come in cause she loves to sleep with us. Just curious to know what you may have done that has worked for you.

Work schedule is difficult to feed wet in the morning, so night is our only choice.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Supervised or separate room feeding are the only real ways around this issue. Something that can work very well is to install a microchip-activated cat flap in one of the (closed) doors in your home, and program it to only allow Taffy through. That way, she can eat in peace and at her own pace, without the others muscling in. A private dining room may be just what she needs :D

Adding wet into all their diets is a wonderful idea, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. You may find these articles interesting too:- [article="30756"][/article][article="30987"][/article][article="22489"][/article][article="30138"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengal2223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I plan to add wet for all of them, but I don't have the funds at the moment for good quality wet food for 4 cats. I plan to get way better dry food..still looking at that. Way too many brands lol but any wet food is good enough right? Mix of both is all I can offer for my cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengal2223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Supervised or separate room feeding are the only real ways around this issue. Something that can work very well is to install a microchip-activated cat flap in one of the (closed) doors in your home, and program it to only allow Taffy through. That way, she can eat in peace and at her own pace, without the others muscling in. A private dining room may be just what she needs :D

Adding wet into all their diets is a wonderful idea, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. You may find these articles interesting too:- [article="30756"][/article][article="30987"][/article][article="22489"][/article][article="30138"][/article]
And that's that I though too, a separate room looks like my only option. Thank you!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed my 4 cats wet food twice a day with scheduled dry food "snack times" throughout the day.  I supervise their feedings.  I have a picky eater who usually doesn't finish her wet food in one feeding and another who takes about 20 mins to finish her bowl.  The other 2 scarf their food down and proceed to "help" the others, so I stand guard and pick up the leftovers and save for later, which is a 2nd attempt in about 45 mins to an hour.