Feeding After Dental Surgery

LJM38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat will be getting dental surgery soon to have a tooth removed. I work during the day and I’m worried about what food to leave out for her while I’m gone for 6 hours. I know it’s not okay to leave wet food out for a long period of time. Any suggestions of food I can leave out for a few hours that would safe for her to eat while she is recovering?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had to have his canine tooth removed, and he was fine eating both wet and dry food. My boy doesn't try to crunch his dry food though, so I'm not sure about yours. You should be fine to just let her eat as she normally would, just ensure you keep up with the pain meds the vet gives you.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have food timers for canned food. It comes with pouches to free. Also freeze the food the night before. Until I got one, I bought a small plastic lunch container with top and bottom that separate

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat will be getting dental surgery soon to have a tooth removed. I work during the day and I’m worried about what food to leave out for her while I’m gone for 6 hours. I know it’s not okay to leave wet food out for a long period of time. Any suggestions of food I can leave out for a few hours that would safe for her to eat while she is recovering?
Cats do really well with most dental surgeries. One of my girls had an emergency tooth removal and she was eating hours later, no problem. If you're concerned, give her some watered down wet food to make it easy for her. But she should really be okay :)

Best of luck!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: If you're only gone for 6 hours and concerned about what type of food to leave out you can feed her before you leave for work and then again when you return home. Talk with your vet when your bring her in for the dental surgery and ask their advice regarding food, sutures, etc. Good luck!:goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LJM38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice everyone (sorry for the late response)! My cat had a successful dental surgery and the vet recommended three days of soft foods. I was able to stay with her on Saturday, Sunday, and come home from work early on Monday.