Feeding a 8 week old kitten on a budget

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In order to really figure out the protein in a can of cat food one has to first calculate the dry matter. I'm a bit out of my depth here as I am a rotten mathematician, but here goes...

Subtract the percentage of moisture from 100% to calculate the dry matter. Once you've calculated the dry matter, you can do a dry weight analysis...

Royal Canin Kitten has a moisture content of 80%, a difference of 20%. 20% is the dry matter. The protein percentage in this can is 11%, so if you divide 11% by 20% you come up with 55%, which is actually quite high. Please correct me if I've done that calculation incorrectly, as I'm pretty inept at this, but the calculation does have to be done if you want to compare canned to dry properly.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chromium Blues  

Have you ever looked at Honest Kitchen? It costs no more than a good quality dry food.
I just looked into it. $30 for a 2 pound box isn't that bad.
Another similar dehydrated raw food is Addiction Wild Brustail and Berries: https://www.addictionfoods.com/prod...ushtail-berries-entree?p_catid=0&p_subcatid=1 I think it costs about the same as the Honest Kitchen. The product web site says it can be fed dry but it's best to rehydrate it before serving. Eating dry powder is difficult and messy and leaves a cat too dehydrated. Kind of like if you crushed up cereal into fine powder and ate that dry without a glass of something to wash it down with.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeding canned food is the best. I feed Friskies and 9 Lives canned. Usually Walmart or Dollar Tree sells the much larger cans, 13 ounce, I feed 2 cats a 13ounce can a day. You should be able to feed at least 2 days worth of food from a single can. They sell turkey and giblets which is a good food. I want to thank you for taking that kitten home and saving him. Also feeding any additional cooked chicken meat, maybe giblets diced finely would be an extra treat. 

Last edited by a moderator:

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Feeding canned food is the best. I feed Friskies and 9 Lives canned. Usually Walmart or Dollar Tree sells the much larger cans, 13 ounce, I feed 2 cats a 13ounce can a day. You should be able to feed at least 2 days worth of food from a single can. They sell turkey and giblets which is a good food. I want to thank you for taking that kitten home and saving him. Also feeding any additional cooked chicken meat, maybe giblets diced finely would be an extra treat. 
Raw chicken hearts make a great treat too, and cost next to nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: