Feeding A 6 Week Old Kitten

Lunasea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found our kitty at about 1 - 2 weeks old. We fed him formula for the first 4 - 5 weeks, but have begun to feed him kitten food during week 5. It is hard to get him to eat it, even though we pour formula on it. How much kitten food should he eat in a day? He os also on 2 types of antibiotics, but still has diarrhea. We now have probiotics to add to the food, but I worry that he won't eat enough of it. Otherwise, he is ayful, curious, and loves us. Also, how do I avoid stepping on him? I'm worried about that.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you contain him to an area so he's not underfoot so easily?
He needs to eat as much as he'll consume which should be quite a bit. Can you make some Pedialyte and give that to him and maybe also some kitten glop? There are recipes on the internet. Is the kitten food wet or dry?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS

I would advise trying wet kitten food if you are not already doing that. You can leave dry food out for him to snack on between meals.

I found this page on the Kitten Lady website that talks about weaning kittens and how to make kitten glop. The video may be very helpful to you. It takes you through the weaning process in steps.

Weaning

I adopted my now 12 year old Starbuck as a 6 week old kitten. One thing that I found helpful was to announce myself when I would walk around. It made it easier for me to figure out where she was and most of the time she would come running to me. I found this helpful to avoid stepping on her. Kittens all have their own personalities and wean at different times. Starbuck was already eating dry food when I adopted her. I was feeding an all stages dry when I adopted her since I also had adult cats. I supplemented her diet with wet kitten food to make sure she was eating enough.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lunasea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Can you contain him to an area so he's not underfoot so easily?
He needs to eat as much as he'll consume which should be quite a bit. Can you make some Pedialyte and give that to him and maybe also some kitten glop? There are recipes on the internet. Is the kitten food wet or dry?
Thanks! He's now eating more than a can of wet kitten food a day. I did a syringe of kitten food mixed with chicken baby food, which worked, then on to kitten food in a low dish with KRM poured on. Now he loves plain kitten food. Thanks for the help!