Feedback needed on Swheat Scoop please...:)

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't like Swheat Scoop. The clumps would be so gigantic the toilet wouldn't flush them. It also seemed to use so much more litter because of it. I've turned to world's best cat litter adn absolutely love it! However, my next forage into something new will be chicken feed as I hear it acts pretty much the same as worlds best and considerably cheaper.

WBCL is safe to eat as its primarly a corn base. It clumps small and firm, flushable. It leaves the litter box edges/bottom clean when you scoop (rarely need to wash teh sides, and never need to do full litter cleanings, just scooping). No dust. It does track. Could be bad for a corn allergy.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've been testing Swheat Scoop for over two weeks now, and I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed. It's even dustier than the clay brands I was using, and the clumps are rather soft and easily break apart when you scoop. Jamie won't bury his turds in it, either. I haven't seen WBCL advertised anywhere here, so I'll have to Google it and see if there's a supplier. I really like the idea of a biodegradable litter, but will go back to the clay if I don't find one that's as good.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

I used Swheat Scoop for awhile, and in a mulitple cat household, it was difficult to remove, and as others said gooey and sticky. It was great though, as far as the dust control. Also, the odor control IMO was amazing. I might will try the litter liners.
I would like to hear a bit more about (Worlds Best?) Is it dusty? Is is safe for small kittens learning to use the litter box?
Right now, we use Tidy cat, but because of my senstivity to the dust, my husband has litter box duty. (hmmm, do I really want to change?
)
I have honestly found that World's Best is much less dusty than Swheat Scoop. I actually switched to World's Best from Swheat Scoop for this reason. I had switched to Swheat Scoop from a clay litter because Bijou was a baby and I didn't want him inhaling clay dust (I heard it could form lumps in their systems and actually cause death in some cases.) He had started sneezing when using the litter box so I immediately changed to Swheat Scoop - found it too dusty and switched to World's Best and have been using it ever since.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Yosemite and Solarity!! I now know where to find it, and how well it works. I will be trying it, and seeing if our "pride" likes it!!

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Darn, I'm dissapointed to hear how dusty it is. My mom was going to try it out because she doesn't like the dust of the clay litter. I guess it's a better kind of dust, but that's still annoying.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find it less dusty than all of the various clay litters I've ever tried.
The corn & pine based ones are the least dusty of all, but they also stick to kitty feet the most.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I find it less dusty than all of the various clay litters I've ever tried.
The corn & pine based ones are the least dusty of all, but they also stick to kitty feet the most.
Aha! Now that's where the Booda Dome with the steps up the side comes in handy.
I just got one about a month ago and it's great for keeping them from tracking litter onto the floor.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swheat Scoop worked GREAT when I only had one cat and 2 boxes, but as soon as I added another cat, the stickiness and messiness became a real issue, so much so that both cats stopped using it and to this day refuse all natural litters. I imagine it would work if you could scoop 4 or 5 times a day, but with my work and school schedule, that's not possible for me.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've done some searches, and WBCL isn't sold here, so it looks like I'll be switching back to clay litter. One brand of pine litter is available here, but Jamie refused to use it.

black&tan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried SweetScoop and I hated it. I couldn't wait to get it out of the house. The smell was awful to me and I thought the dust from it was awful too. When it was used it was a mess.

Right now I use Everclean for my adults and plain clay with kittens.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to use Swheat scoop and I didn't really like it either. Instead of round easy to scoop clumps, I'd get these flat huge pancake shaped things glued to the bottom of the box, and you had to peel them off because they were soft. Smelled awful too.

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got Swheat Scoop and have not had any problems with it being too dusty. Matter of fact I never did see any dust come up from it when I poured it into the box. Now as for the smell there still isn't any, and that is pretty good in my household. :-) Though I also like the sounds of the WBCL. I like that you can put it in your garden, rather then having to flush it.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Though I've not personally used SS, I have a friend that does, and her house just REAKS!! I never understand why she continues using it when it smells so bad. I really recommend using Feline Pine Pellets, but you have to switch it very gradually...that's the key. No, they won't use it if you just switch on over completely. It has a different smell, different texture. You have to start small and slow with it...but I TOTALLY recommend it. It's GREAT for odor, great on the budget, you can even use it in your compost pile! Also has a low dust factor.

But like I said, you have to switch SLOWLY, and it helps to have a scooper with wider holes. But it's WORTH IT.

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention...the friend of mine that uses SS has I think four cats, and maybe three boxes. Might be a factor...lol. I think the worse thing about the situation is the fact that one of them sits RIGHT NEXT TO the guest bathroom's toilet (and I mean, your leg touches it while you're on the toilet) and smells AWEFUL!! It's in the bathroom guests use the most often because it's right on the first floor and right by the dining room. BLECH!! Makes it difficult for me to go smelling that the whole time...I literally have to hold my breath!

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I cleaned out the boy's box yesterday, and it didn't smell too bad. Just kind of strange, different kind of smell. And since I put baking soda on the bottom of their pan every time I use any cat litter. I didn't have a problem getting it up. But the thing I want to know is since it is sort of like the WBCL can I use this one also in my garden? I would prefer to do that then flush it. We don't have that great of a toilet. It likes to back up too much. Oh and wouldn't the pee and poo be too strong for the garden? I mean whenever you put compost onto the garden, it generally is older stuff. So as not to burn the plants you are putting it on.

random

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hated Swheat Scoop. Angelo didn't mind it, but to me, it had a sickly sweet smell to it--almost like vomit. And it traveled into the rest of the apartment.

After trying World's Best, Swheat Scoop, and Feline Pine, I settled on Feline Pine. It completely eliminates the urine smell. However, it doesn't cover the poop smell that well, but that's the trade-off with any of these.

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found that Swheat scoop doesn’t last very long before it starts to smell real bad. I am quite surprised that it is still on the market, since it doesn't work that great... As for feline Pine my guy Bingzy didn't care for it, and went potty on my couch. He likes to be able to paw the pebbles that you get with normal scoopable cat litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I really like the swheat scoop, but my dogs like to eat it, and it seems my cats don't care for it much because they hardly ever use it. i won't be using it again, along with I will never use Arm and Hammer again! It doesn't work very well at all!

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just used the last of the Swheat scoop in our litter maid. I wont be getting that stuff again. When the litter maid trys to scoop it into the bin, the pee just gets all mushed up in the tines. That is so annoying, it then just pushes what hasn’t been used into the bin, and onto the floor. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually really like Swheat Scoop. Though, I could see it being an issue if I had more than one cat. As long as you make sure there is enought litter in the pan, I find there is no problem with smell/tracking/dust (and I use a covered litterbox). Also, I would never put any of the litters down the toilet. I wouldn't trust them to keep by drainage pipes or septic system running well.

I tried Worlds Best but Nakita's paws had a bad reaction to the litter and they started to scab.