Fears

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can look into something like that but I doubt there is for areas like this that don't often see severe storms. I am not even sure many people would be interested in it for that reason alone. I am certainly no expert but I am mindful of the weather anyway and have a good idea of what to look for when it comes to storms. I am cautious, even during those storms I am outside in and avoid putting myself in danger.

I'm not even sure classes like that would help me overcome my fear. There is just something about "intense" lightning and the super loud thunder at night that chills me to the bone. Its been this way since I was a baby, says my mom. I really wish I could just sit and enjoy a storm instead of hide from it. lol

On a side note, we are prone to hurricanes and they don't even seem to bother me. I slept through hurricane Juan. go figure. 

Last edited:

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not even sure classes like that would help me overcome my fear. There is just something about "intense" lightning and the super loud thunder at night that chills me to the bone. Its been this way since I was a baby, says my mom. I really wish I could just sit and enjoy a storm instead of hide from it. lol

Ya, i see what you are saying. There is nothing that can replace your fear of storms. The best this would do is lessen it.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The dark. :anon:

Yeah, really. But only if it's in my house and/or the woods and I'm out in it. Let me explain:

I can be in bed in my house, with all the lights off and be fine. In fact I can't sleep well if there are lights on. The bed is a secure zone as far as my instincts are concerned.

I CANNOT be standing in my living room in the middle of the night with all the lights off and be fine. I am convinced that there is a murderer in my bathroom and/or bedroom coming for me. Heart racing, sweating, adrenaline rush, all that. I know it isn't rational, but it happens. :dk:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
speakhandsforme, you wouldn't enjoy Parker at night time then. He pesters me terribly to take him for a 2am stroll every night so he can scratch at his post and have a treat. I have to navigate around in the pitch black until I can find the light switch. If its storming and he wants his stroll, he can beg till the cows come home. 

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For me, I pace the house during thunder storms. I have sat on my deck while they are here, trying to lessen my fear. The air sure does smell good. Its that whipping around and those bolts of fire coming down that make me jump up. My other fear, fire.

What would happen to the cats if I die first, is another one.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am afraid of fish, as strange as that sounds. It's not exactly like other fears, I really just feel like I need to get away when I am near fish, and I panic... This is why I don't swim anywhere but a pool.

I am also afraid of the dark sometimes. Like, I need at least a little bit of light and I am okay, but if it's completely dark I get really anxious because I don't know what's near me.

Last edited:

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i love a good thunder storm w/lightning. i'm not scared of heights but my #1 fear is those freeway overpasses out here....what if an earthquake hit...that and total darkness, and if one of my furry kids was in trouble and i couldn't get there in time

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 major fears:

1.  Fire

2.  Getting lost

3.  Water

I don't have time to elaborate as I have to leave for work and I can't access the site there anymore.  I'll post more about it when I get home this evening.
I went out after work and didn't get around to posting an elaboration.

My fear of fire:

I'm just generally afraid of fire. Fire places, wood stoves, gas stoves, even the flame in the hot water tank complete freak me out. I don't use candles except on the rare occasion when I have someone over for dinner and want a bit of ambiance/elegance to the table, and even then I closely guard them. As soon as dinner is over, the candles are blown out, so not even for a split second are they left unattended or not being looked at.

Getting lost:

I don't know where this fear stems from exactly. I think it might have started when I was around 11 or 12 years old and my Mom dropped me off at a swimming pool and was allowing me to take the bus home. She told me which stop to catch the bus and all I had to do was cross the street. It was a very big and busy intersection.  I managed to mess up crossing the street and ended up on the wrong side of the wrong street.  I was terrified. I found my way to a business and went inside. I was crying and the whole thing.
   The girl called my Mom and my Mom came and picked me up!!!! 
  Now when I am going to an area of the city that I'm not familiar with, especially if I'm alone and driving, my anxiety kicks in.  Not long after 9/11 I flew to Detroit. I changed planes in Chicago O'Hare airport. I wasn't afraid of getting blown up or crashing, I was more afraid of getting lost trying to find the connecting flight.

Water:

This fear comes from having drowned when I was in grade 5. I think I was 9 or 10 years old.   I have no fear of drinking water, or showering (unless water is splashed on my face). 

I've even been known to soak in a tub (but only when that was the only option available to me IE: older building, no shower. However, I'm afaird of being in the water; pools, lakes, water splashing on my faice, crossing a bridge that stretches over the water, or flying over water. And boats are a no-no!!!!etc.  A few years ago I managed to overcome the fear and took some aqua fit classes. But water being splashed on my face still sends me into a panic.I doubt that will be something I will be able to get over. But I am proud that I managed to be able to get into 5 feet of water without hanging onto the side, and even float on my back.  You can read about my journey in conquering this fear in this thread:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/156392/conquering-fears#post_2157768

Another fear I have is Death!!!

I don't want to die! Not ever!  If I had the option available to me to be able to live forever, I would!

Last edited: