Fears....

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought I was scared of snakes, recently I have discovered that it is beyond that, its a full blown phobia
That's me; I can't even look at a picture or see one on tv. My DH and daughter have to tell me when it's safe to watch again--I literally close my eyes and refuse to look. I can't touch a magazine or paper with a pic of a snake (geez, I hate even typing that word). I don't know why I have this phobia, as I've never been bothered by one.

I hate crossing bridges, and unless I'm driving, will tense up and hold my breath until I'm across.
I'm not scared of dying as much as I am the way I'm going to die--I'm terrified of suffocating or drowning or choking.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow my biggest fears seem so stupid. Im scared to death of ferris wheels. The first time I went to Knoebels the wheel broke down and I had a total Final Destination moment where the wheel broke loose and rolled thru the whole park. I get those moments alot at parks and stuff but I cant stay away from rollar coasters cuz I love them but the last time I went there the Phoenix did something funky and I refused to ride it again! Im also afraid of fish. Dave keeps threatening to get a fishtank and I told him if he does Im going to leave the lid off so the cats can eat them. I cant go swimming in anything like a lake or river. Im getting the heebie jeebies just thinking about it. I also get scared thinking about something happening to Dave or the girls. Ive got my oldest trained that if she pushes number one and the green button on the phone it calls mom-mom and Ive even got 911 programmed into my phone that she knows to dial. However training my jabberjaw to use the phone wasnt that smart because now she calls my mom behind my back to tattle on me when I wont give her what she wants. Last week she called her to tell her that I wouldnt let her have a popcicle and ended up getting reamed out by my mom for not giving her one and supposidly yelling at Maddi cuz she told my mom I was being mean to her! lol...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Still won't live in an apartment by myself that is ground level.
And I don't blame you a bit! The one time I lived on the ground floor, I was burglarized the third week I was there, and that was bad enough... if I'd been home at the time, like you -- my gosh, there's not enough therapy in the world!

Here at my folks's house, we have a monitored alarm system... and I'm reaaaallllly going to miss it when I move back to my apartment.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I hate crossing bridges, and unless I'm driving, will tense up and hold my breath until I'm across.
When I was about 14, my family was driving in the country, and we came up to the Maxdale Bridge -- a one-lane wooden bridge made of huge timbers spaced six or eight inches apart, about 30 feet above a river. I'd never been afraid of bridges before, but I knew this one was not safe, and I made my father stop the car. I wanted to turn around, but could not persuade him... so I said, "All right then, I'll walk across after you, maybe my weight out of the car will be enough to keep it from collapsing." I weighed about 75 pounds soaking wet at the time.

So my family laughed at me for picking my way beam-by-beam across the bridge while they waited on the other side, and I remember my father saying, "I hope this isn't going to be some kind of phobia with you now."

Three weeks later, we saw in the paper that the Maxdale Bridge had collapsed and dumped a van into the river... but the driver was okay, thank goodness.

So maybe your "phobia" is well-founded -- maybe someday, you're going to refuse to cross a bridge, and it's going to be a good thing you did!

lady20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

It is such a horrible fear, because you can't avoid it and you usually don't know when it will happen. I was up all night last night with these thoughts going through my head.
You have a big surprise coming! I also used to be petrified of my own death, however, it is true, as you get older, you get less afraid. When it is your time, hopefully many years in the future, you will not be the least bit afraid.

Helene

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
AHA! I have another fear I forgot to mention. I fear choking. When im around people and theyre eating and cough or something I tottaly flip out, and I always tell people to chew their food and not to choke lol, im not sure how I got that fear, ive never choked on anything.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was about 14, my family was driving in the country, and we came up to the Maxdale Bridge -- a one-lane wooden bridge made of huge timbers spaced six or eight inches apart, about 30 feet above a river. I'd never been afraid of bridges before, but I knew this one was not safe, and I made my father stop the car. I wanted to turn around, but could not persuade him... so I said, "All right then, I'll walk across after you, maybe my weight out of the car will be enough to keep it from collapsing." I weighed about 75 pounds soaking wet at the time.

So my family laughed at me for picking my way beam-by-beam across the bridge while they waited on the other side, and I remember my father saying, "I hope this isn't going to be some kind of phobia with you now."

Three weeks later, we saw in the paper that the Maxdale Bridge had collapsed and dumped a van into the river
Wow, that's amazing! It reminded me of when I was pretty young--maybe 5--and we were taking a ride out in the county (I live in a pretty rural area). We came to one of those old wooden one car bridges with no sides. It wasn't more than 10 feet over a small creek, but the creaking and groaning when Dad drove over it scared the bejesus out of me. Maybe that's what started it.

Of course, there's also the fact that I believe I drowned in a past life
, so falling into water just freaks me out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been finding the responses here very interesting. It is amazing how strong people can feel about certain things.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Andreamer

Phones! Sad, I know, but I hate calling strangers. I also won't answer if it's someone I don't know.
Me too, I'm fine at work but awful if its my own phone

I'm also scared of pain, tripping up and falling under a train as well as Republicans...

The latter give me nightmates