Fear Of Declawing

stephanielemus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently rescued a kitten and out of 3 families I selected a home. I was upfront about the personality of this adorable kitten and I was clear that I was looking for a family who would not declaw her. I had an appointment to get the kitten spayed 2 week outs, and I allowed the new family to take her before the spay. When the husband dropped off the kitten he said that she scratched him and that their next step was to have her declawed. I don't know if he was serious, but I didn't push it because at that moment I just wanted to have the kitty back in my hands. They are supposed to pick up the kitten today and I am beside myself because I no longer trust them (even though they seem like nice people) and I am hesitant on returning her. :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't return the kitten and wouldn't adopt any kitten to them. One scratch does not equal declaw as the next step, ever.

I am hoping you have a contract or written statement somewhere that was sent saying they can't declaw? If so, that is all the reason you need. The verbal statement that they wanted to declaw because of a scratch would be enough to cancel the contract or agreement to adopt. If there is nothing in writing, I would still keep the kitten. The kitten is, legally in most areas, property. You are under no legal obligation to complete a sale, at least where I am, if there isn't a written agreement. Just return or refund any monies they gave you for the kitten and say you have changed your mind. Nothing else to it. Edit: You may have a problem if they registered the kitten for a microchip or took it to the vet and you don't have a written agreement. Also if they spent any money on the kitten they may fight you. That two weeks in their home could be a sticking point if there is no written agreement and they fight you on the issue. It may be advisable to contact the local shelter/rescue group for advice in the situation.

Let them know that you were clear that declawing was not an option when you agreed to the adoption. His statement about declawing indicates that they are considering it and that is a violation of the adoption agreement. For the kittens well-being you will not return the kitten to them (even if they say they won't because you now can't trust them).

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just come right out and ask them.If they skirt around it or answer yes to your question of "would you really get a kitten's toes amputated if they scratched you?" Then you can refuse to give them the kitten. It would be really hard for me to trust them now, tell them that all kittens may scratch. If you DO give the kitten back to them, tell them you want them to sign a binding agreement that they will NOT get the kitten declawed, then you can take them to court if they break the agreement and hurt them where it counts, in their wallet. I myselfwould never return the kitten, they definitely are breaking a verbal agreement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanielemus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your input. I've been so torn. You are correct that this a rash thing to say because a cat scratches you a few times, a kitten at that. I don't think they have taken the kitten to the vet because they allowed me to take her to Humane Society to get her spayed, pain meds, de-wormed, rabies shot and I also chipped her (registered to me). They agreed to pay the $22 fee to transfer their information if I chipped her. They did pay a $30 re-homing fee to me. I will give them $50 back for their troubles. The $20 extra should cover their kitten food and basics as they said they had a scratching post and other items already from another cat they once had. Hopefully the extra $20 will suffice. Unfortunately, I did not get anything in writing but it was a verbal agreement. I am very against declawing and I made sure to ask before a home was selected. I am not looking forward to this awkward situation. The family has 2 kiddos and they will be upset.

stephanielemus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This has been a learning experience for me. Next time I will make sure to get the agreement in writing.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It will be an awkward conversation but since you've done everything vet wise and the kitten is registered to you; refund them and find a home for the kitten who won't declaw. I would meet them at a neutral location to discuss the situation without the kitten present. I wouldn't do it at your home or their home. Don't hesitate to call the police if they get aggressive about it. In this case, the law should be on your side since the kitten is legally your property and they are violating the verbal agreement by considering the declawing.

There are a lot of online adoption agreements out there to pull from for making a written agreement for any future adoptions. You can probably just find a local rescue and copy and paste theirs with minor modifications.

stephanielemus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All very good suggestions. Thank you so much. I feel like a horrible person for doing this a family and their kiddos. Yet, you are correct though. The wife verbally agreed not to declaw the kitten which is why I agreed to re-home the kitten to them. The husband verbally said they are getting the kitten declawed next. That verbally indicates his intentions. Even if they do not do it now, they may get frustrated and declaw in the future. I cannot take that chance. I most def. will copy an online adoption agreement moving forward. Lesson learned. I just cant imagine y someone would do that to a creature whose main defense and nature are claws. I will also make sure to suggest that they adopt a cat who is already declawed and in need of a forever home. TY!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All very good suggestions. Thank you so much. I feel like a horrible person for doing this a family and their kiddos. Yet, you are correct though. The wife verbally agreed not to declaw the kitten which is why I agreed to re-home the kitten to them. The husband verbally said they are getting the kitten declawed next. That verbally indicates his intentions. Even if they do not do it now, they may get frustrated and declaw in the future. I cannot take that chance. I most def. will copy an online adoption agreement moving forward. Lesson learned. I just cant imagine y someone would do that to a creature whose main defense and nature are claws. I will also make sure to suggest that they adopt a cat who is already declawed and in need of a forever home. TY!
That would probably be a good move. You may be able to check local rescues and bring the names and details of some already declawed cats with you when you meet them.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A scratch, really? I have scars from terror kitten mini lion cub.
I would not give the kitten back. How could you ever trust them not to declaw once it's theirs?