Fear aggressive??

skyefoxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I've posted about my situation before but I'm looking for some advice on trying to assess an interesting situation.  

Some quick background information:  I currently have three cats, Abby, Marlie and Tatum.  Tatum is a new addition and I'm working on integrating her into the house.  It's been a tough situation because she's an extremely energetic cat with a big "alpha" personality. Any time they are out together Tatum will chase Abby and Marlie around the house.  None of them are ever hurt and usually Tate will chase them under the bed and then lose interest and walk away.  I've been feeding her in a dog crate with the other two in the same room so they can all see and smell each other without giving her the ability to chase the other two around.  So far it seems to have been successful.  Abby and Marlie finally seem to be more relaxed.  No hissing or growling on most days.  Abby went as far to be taking treats from me within only a couple of feet of Tate in the cage!

While feeding them the other day, Tatum finished early and sat toward the back of the cage, visibly trembling, while watching the other two. She crouched down with her tail wrapped around her feet. I've seen it before but I'm not sure how to take it.  She has such a confident personality that it seems out of character for her. (The reason for the cage in the first place is because she's typically the instigator!)  I'm wondering if she might be fear aggressive?  I feel like working out the cause of her behavior may help me get her adjusted more easily.  Opinions?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I would never have thought that! But it could be. When my Casper is frightened by something outside, he will attack poor Burt, especially if Burt runs away. How 'new' is Tatum? It took almost two years for my two to finally get to be buddy's, I didn't think it would ever happen. Casper still backs him into a corner once in a while, but a sharp word from me and he will leave. I think you are doing fine, it will just take time for things to sort themselves out. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyefoxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted Tate this February so she's only been around a few months.  Her behavior is really different than any other cat I've ever had and so it's taking me forever to figure her out!

TWO years?  Wow.  That does give me a lot more hope.  My family got fed up with her after a few weeks saying it would never work...