Fear after being caught on the counters/tables

rhian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted my kitty a little over a month ago now. At first I didn't really notice anything too alarming, just that she seemed to refuse to jump up on anything too high which was a little bit weird. I took her to the vet for a check up at the humane society I adopted her from (they gave one free within two weeks if I noticed anything) and they didn't notice anything that would stop her from jumping.

When I adopted her they told me that she was found outside, presumably abandoned when she became pregnant. I asked if they knew if she had been abused at all and they had told me that they weren't sure, but it didn't seem like it.

Fast forward a few weeks and she got more confident and started to sort of follow the other cats' lead. She cautiously started to go on the counters, and we really don't care if the cats go up there. We keep everything edible out of the way, know enough to clean the counters before we prepare food and they know not to be up there when we're using the counter space.

So I would walk into the kitchen, say hi to her and she would just freak out. She will basically throw herself off of the counter and sometimes fall really awkwardly on the ground. Then when I would go to check on her she would immediately recoil away from my hand, or she would run and hide. I thought at first maybe I had just spooked her, but that didn't really account for her ducking away from me and scrunching up her face like she expected a smack.

No one in our house hits our animals, I'm 100% certain of that.

Is there anything I can do to make her feel more comfortable? I'm worried that she's going to slip off of the counter or a table or something else and end up hurting herself one of these days. I haven't seen her act like this in any other situation, it's just being on the dining room table or the counters that seem to do it.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's been only a month and your girl is still a bit nervous about her new surroundings. 
 In time, she will not over react when she gets startled. In the mean time, if it happens again, avoid chasing her and trying to grab her. Just  call her name like you have a treat for her and calmly approach her. She'll be willing to have herself "checked for injuries". 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like a skittish cat. Like my cat. My cat will randomly get spooked at things. Today he was sitting in front of a locked door - I walked towards him and he bolted when he saw me, into my bedroom. No idea why. He came out 10 minutes later for pets. 

In your case, I'm inclined to think something has happened while she was on a counter, with a human nearby, that she started to associated "being on the counter when human nearby = bad things happen". You probably won't ever know what that is. You say no one hits the cats, and I'm not saying that anyone did, but the cat may not share the same view.

The best thing you can do right now is to ignore her when she's on the counter. Don't look at her, don't say hi to her, don't approach her. Pretend she's not there. It may take some time, and it may never resolve fully, but all you can do is show her you're not a threat -- by ignoring her. In the meantime, if you're concerned, you can try to stack items near the counter to make a sort of "stair" for her so that she doesn't jump from the 10th floor straight to the ground.