Favourite cat charity

catlikesbusiness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey fellow cat lovers! I hope everyone is doing well. As you all know, cats are amazing creatures, and they bring so much joy and happiness into our lives. I'm curious to know if anyone has a favorite charity project that they like to support? Personally, I'm a big fan of organizations that help cats in need, and I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Second Chance Pet Adoptions in Raleigh NC is where I volunteer and where I send the majority of my charity donations. They are a no kill rescue and they are committed to saving as many cats (and dogs) as they can. Once an animal is in their program, they are in it for life, and they will take the cat (or dog) back if it doesn't work out. They are dedicated to finding the right forever home for all their animals.
Second Chance Pet Adoptions | Raleigh, NC

Personal story, when our cat Cindy passed, we wanted to get another friend for Swanie. We adopted a petite little grey/white cat named Persephone who was sweet as anything to us, but was terrorizing Swanie. Understand, she was under 8 pounds and he was pushing 15 pounds and he was hiding in the closet and wouldn't come out. This was before I volunteered there, but they took her back (we both were crying when we took her in). They introduced us to Darcy who turned out to be the absolute perfect cat for us and Swanie. They were so kind and would not allow us to pay the adoption fee for Darcy. Sadly, we only had her for a couple months before she passed with FIP. I fell in love with the place and knew I had to volunteer. They did tell us that a young man declared that Persephone was the perfect cat for him, so she found her forever home that she didn't have to share with another cat.

We have since lost Swanie (my ❤ kitty), and we now have two others who came from that rescue. Cricket was a companion to Swanie until he passed, and Austin was a return that found his perfect forever family with us. They get along great.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a local shelter Caring for Cats that is great. For the seniors and cats with health issues they have a permanent foster program where the cat lives with you the rest of their lives but the shelter covers vet costs for them. This helps them get into good homes that just can’t afford to care for a cat with health issues.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have a local shelter Caring for Cats that is great.
We have a local shelter where we adopted several pets including our last cat, Neely. We regularly bring supplies for the cat room since it is quite large and the cats are free to roam in a safe enclosed area. We also do the same for our present cat, Carleton. It is a rather small shelter that was started by a doctor and since he has passed away his daughter is in charge now. She has a fondness for senior animals who have a more difficult time finding homes. We ask her what supplies she needs the most and spend time showing her pics of Carleton while chatting. One of the perks of a small hands-on shelter.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Charity Ratings and Donor Resources | Charity Navigator

This site allows you to check ratings of charities. It explains how they were audited, how much goes to the actual cause, etc. It is not exclusive to animals, so if you are interested in human-related charities it is helpful as well.

I agree that if you are working with a local organization where you can see their activities that it is a good way to go. Lots of time they need some extra donations, or even just time donated at an adoption event to help animals get a home.

The larger organizations have the clout to go in, along with the personnel, to do some heavy duty rescue as the HSUS did a couple of weeks ago in Mississippi where they rescued 170 cats from a hoarding situation. However, this cuts both ways as they often operate on a large scale and do not involve themselves with smaller cases.
Mississippi Cat Rescue

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat Welfare Association

Cat Welfare Association in Columbus Oh. It is a no kill mostly cage free shelter. It is fairly large, they usually have over 200 cats and kittens in their care. They have been around since the 50's. I will probably volunteer there after I retire. You can imagine with as large as they are they are always looking for volunteers. I adopted the cat that I have now from there.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a local shelter where we adopted several pets including our last cat, Neely. We regularly bring supplies for the cat room since it is quite large and the cats are free to roam in a safe enclosed area. We also do the same for our present cat, Carleton. It is a rather small shelter that was started by a doctor and since he has passed away his daughter is in charge now. She has a fondness for senior animals who have a more difficult time finding homes. We ask her what supplies she needs the most and spend time showing her pics of Carleton while chatting. One of the perks of a small hands-on shelter.
Last year I used leftover fleece and quilted a couple dozen little mats for the shelter, thinking they would use them as bedding for the cats. But the shelter manager said they could really use them as a going away carrier gift when the cats were adopted so that they had something that smelled familiar to them. These mats are now on their requested donations list and this year I made them another couple dozen.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to be a regular donor to my local humane society.They are always in need of blankies,litter,bleach and other cleaning supplies,so although I can't do much,I buy extra when I shop for me and drop off to them what I have.I go through my tubs of blankies from time to time.These kitties of mine and the dogs have their favorites,and I try and weed out what I know they don't like and pass them on,all freshly laundered and softened.They run on a very tight budget and whatever they receive they sure can use.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I volunteer at ACF, Animal Care Foundation, in North Carolina. They are a no kill shelter with many good people who foster. We also run a thrift shop to raise funds. We have a couple of people who scour the county for ferals and have them TNR'd, which we finance. Those two people are my heroes. :redheartpump: I donate to them. Last week they got both of my cowboy hats!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I volunteer at ACF, Animal Care Foundation, in North Carolina. They are a no kill shelter with many good people who foster. We also run a thrift shop to raise funds. We have a couple of people who scour the county for ferals and have them TNR'd, which we finance. Those two people are my heroes. :redheartpump: I donate to them. Last week they got both of my cowboy hats!
I second this one! I make and donate jewelry to their thrift shop (and Boris, I just sent another package of over 3lbs. of stuff again this week. It should have arrived today. I made and added some new categorieswith the usual jewelry: hair scrunchies (yes, they're in again!), and animal-themed laminated bookmarks. I hope they can sell for them.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Last year I used leftover fleece and quilted a couple dozen little mats for the shelter, thinking they would use them as bedding for the cats. But the shelter manager said they could really use them as a going away carrier gift when the cats were adopted so that they had something that smelled familiar to them. These mats are now on their requested donations list and this year I made them another couple dozen.
That's so kind of you! I used to knit cage mats for Cat Angel Network. We used to foster for them.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Fantastic, margecat margecat ! I was not there today, but I will check it out. Did I mention how well stocked and how much better our jewelry display looks? :yess:

I will definitely check them out!
Aww! Thank you for the compliment! The ones I just sent have cat-themed backing cards for the cat necklaces. I had so much fun making them.